Deep-sleep: current drained

When programming from the Arduino IDE you can put the ESP into deep-sleep mode which turns off the WiFi and system clock. But in the ESPHome component, there are timing parameters which would require the chip’s clock to be active.

As written I’m not an expert, but I understand that uA (or mA) are used by Real Time Clock (RTC) that only if RST is previously connected to D0 could wake-up board.

If someone can suggest something to test to solve problem I’ll appreciate it. Thanks
Good night

A little more research here. Apparently the ESP RTC keeps running in all sleep modes, so the high (for sleep) current is probably the CH340 and Flash still powered.

I tried different tests, none with success.
Maybe my D1 mini can’t do better on deep sleep mode. I should try with a D1 mini v3, but I have to buy it first. I’ll let you know.

Kindly someone already have one (v3) and can tell us about drained current on deep sleep of his board?

Thanks

Very interesting. I think there is a V4 now too.

D1 mini v3.0 >>> Bought. Arrived. Tested.
Luckily current drained by this D1 mini v3.0 is really low as expected. I measured* just 130uA (=0.13mA).

So if you need to run this board with battery pay attention to buy at least v3.0 (and NOT v1 that in deep-sleep mode could drain twenty times more current).

(*) I live in Europe and for me it was easier to get a D1 mini clone sold by a german company…

Thanks @stevemann, @nickrout

1 Like