Deepstack Container inside HA-OS

Hello All,

I am testing various way of installing HA. I liked HA OS method of installation as Supervisor comes preinstalled with minimum efforts.

Though I think there are certain limitations to this type of installation, like I am using a HACS integration called Deepstack object and face for which you need to install/ run a docker. As i am using an x86 machine with enough memory and storage, I would like to run deepstack object and face inside the same HA-OS machine as a docker container. So I went ahead and installed docker, but for some reason was not able to even check the status of docker. I am getting the below error most of the time.
Fails (Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?
along with the below warning.
* WARNING: docker is already starting
As I am not sure if we can even run a container within the HA-OS installation or not, I though I can ask in the forum for some help.

The way to use custom docker containers on HAOS is to create “addons”.

Using the reference document on Installation, if I understand correctly, you are talking about the following:

• Home Assistant Operating System: Minimal Operating System optimized to power Home Assistant. It comes with Supervisor to manage Home Assistant Core and Add-ons. Recommended installation method.

This installation method installs not only HAOS, but it already has docker, and most things run using containers. However HA wants to manage containers, so it may not be so simple to add your own. Ideally, one would install Deepstack as an AddOn which would be installed and managed as a docker container by HA, but to my knowledge Deepstack does not come as an AddON.

When I first played around with Deepstack about a year ago or so, I installed it using Portainer, and I installed Portainer as an Add-On. Portainer, however later had changes made to it which caused issues running on HA. I no longer use Deepstack in this way, and I have not kept up with the Portainer issues on HA, but here is a thread you may find helpful.

Dear Sir,
I appreciate your spontaneous response.
So Sir to what you have recommended, I have a followup question, is it right for me to create a Addon for Deepstack as compared to them doing it, as its not my developed project.

Sure. Not a single HA addon is being created by the actual software owners, afaik (besides maybe Zigbee2MQTT or esphome)
I mean it’s not nginx or mariadb that created the respective addons…

Thank you Sir,

I will try creating Addon for Deepstack and see how it goes. I will update about my experience on the same. Though, I saw @wmaker response and I went ahead and tested Portainer installation which gives me access to all the container available. I am yet to install deepstack as a container inside Portainer, though it look simple to me to start with, do you think both the methods are right, as I found the main thread of the Portainer for HA has been discontinued also to install Portainer, I need to disable protection mode, which probably is not recommended way by HA.