DEFA Power EV Charger

Does anyone have their DEFA Power EV Charger integrated in Home Assistant ?
I have recently installed a Defa Power Charger and want to control the charging from HA.
DEFA is a Norwegian brand just as Easee and Tibber.
Any help here would be nice !!

2 Likes

There is an OCPP Server integration in HACS that should work. In theory at least as Defa has the latest OCPP protocol…

I am also interested in Defa Power, and I would really appreciate if you could try if it works :slight_smile:

Are you happy with the charger?

Yes im really satisfied with the DEFA Power, im renting it from OpenCharge in Sweden and pay 189 sek/month for it

Did you manage to connect it to home assistant also?

I have not, i can see Defas IP adress but i dont know what i do wrong.

Well I am new to both HA and EV charging.
My charger was just installed and the car will arrive in a couple of weeks.

But if I have understood this correct the ocpp integration creates an Ocpp Server that a charger can connect to (HA ip)
But there is, for now at least, no place in the Defa Power app to connect to an ocpp server.
I called defa support (very helpful btw) and that this connection could be in the installer app, Defa Setup.
Hopefully I can try this soon…

Anyone got the Defa Power integrated with HA?

I called the support and they claimed that they are working on new configuration options.

I have integrated the OCPP in my HA but dont know how to set it up with the DEFA Power Charger, it would be nice to see the consumption the charger use when its connected to my PHEV.

Seems like Defa must set up the info to your ocpp server at the moment.
I am waiting for them to fix mine.

A bit annoying that we can’t set this up by our self.

Did u get any timeline from the support? Still waiting to get my request to change endpoint to my local server. (sent 17 Okt)
I did read somwere that the installer app will be updated to have the option to change the ocpp enpoint at some point, but in the latest version i did not se that feature.

There is a new version of the installer app (version 2.0.0) published a week ago but unfortunately it seems there is still no way of configuring the OCPP address. As the OCPP interface is part of Defas marketing it is a pity they still have not opened up the ability to use our own server…

1 Like

Hi, did you get the issue with Defa and your ocpp server fixed?

Nope.
I actually think Defa bricked my box trying to set it up.

Here comes the long answer. (Skip my ranting and the short answer is that you should not buy a Defa Power)

I have learned that there is two companies behind this glorified power outlet.
Defa have fixed the hardware, and that seems fine, well built etc and a very responsive tech support when you give them a call.
But if you have software questions you must email this to defa, and they most likely forward this to a company called Cloudcharge.
What I can see it is them that fixes the software, smartphone-app and smartstuff (that aint very smart) There is even a cloudcharge app in playstore that is identical to the defa app.

OT again, CC seems to ignore most of the communication but after I followed up with several calls to Defa support I got an email several weeks later asking for info on my OCPP server.
Then silence. again.

Then a while ago my charger suddenly stop working. Only way to interact with it was in bluetooth mode or installer app (also BT) where you only can change wifi or max current.
Charger is still connected to wifi, and sends data to my router, but it is no longer connected to the cloud… And I can no longer charge my car :rage:
My first question before ordering this charger was:
Will it work if cloudconnection is gone? - Yes it will they said!

There is a lot in this process going on still, but a week later after it broke I got an email that they (Cloudcharge) have fixed my OCPP settings.
Great I answered, but how did they manage that since i been offline for a long time?
Also, it is not connected to my server…

My goal right now is that the installer take the charger back since it clearly isn’t fulfilling what they specify.
I found a new box called Amina S that could be controlled with Zigbee instead, that seems interesting, skipping all could and ocpp mess. So now I investigate that option, probably in a thread near you.

But on the bright side, this adventure finally made me learn how to install HACS :slight_smile:

That was really bad news. I have also tried to reach out via mail to them with no luck. I am also considering to swap out the Defa to some other charger with better (or actually any) integration possibilities.
( There is a ssh service running on the Defa, it would be awesome if it would be possible to log in there and configure the box from cli. )

Right now I have my hope at the Amina S box, started a thread here EV Charger with Zigbee - will this work in HA?

My backup will probably be a Wallbox Pulsar Max.

Any updates? Did they take the charger back or did they try to fix it?

Any other experiences from other owners?

Mine is being installed as we speak…

I have a Defa Power charger. Works perfekt but as we know lacks API.

I have called and emailed Defa and they say that they are looking into a third-party integration. The charger is very robust and well built. The App is missing some basic features such as be able to see current charge power.

I got the reply from support that there are no way of configuring or integrate with the Defa Power charger. (Might be in the feature but nothing they could promise).
So unfortunately we need to look elsewhere for a box with open API.

I had a discussion with Defa Sweden and they gave me a answer.
DEFA Sweden
Hey Magnus! Home Assistant has not yet
tested by us, but many CPO/CSMS which
supported by OCCP 2.0.1 can be selected in
the installer app during the ‘Handover’ step.
If you can’t find a backend you want to connect to
and want us to investigate the possibility of
integrate with Home Assistant, you can
contact us via [email protected]. Then
we will look at integrating you with
Home Assistant.
We then need the backend URL and the serial number of the charger you want to connect.
We do not have an open APl available at the moment.
Hope this info helps even if we understand
that there really is a need to
integration should already be in place

Hi, im also in contact with Defa support about my charger, today i did get a mail from them about Cloudcharge and they wanted to know what kind of apartment complex i was asking for.
Defa is not intrested with customers who have their own house and who want to control their charger themself.
Cloudcharge is a different company from Defa and are run by a Chinese?? Siqi Luki Zhao
Thats just great that Defa allow a Asian with connections to the chinese government control Defas chargers…