Default Brightness in light_profiles.csv based on Sun

I have searched and read extensively but cannot find a solution to my specific interest.

I have many GE Enbrighten Z Wave switches throughout my house. Currently I am using light_profiles.csv to define default brightness values for many of my lights. I do this so that even when turned on manually (using the physical switch) the lights will turn on to the default brightness defined in light_profiles.csv.

Now I would like to automatically update the brightness values for some of the lights based on the time of day (most likely using sun). e.g. light_1 will have a default brightness of 50 after sunset and until sunrise; the default brightness for this light will then change to 255 at sunrise and until sunset.

How can I do so?

As far as I know this is not possible with light profiles. However, take a look at adaptive lighting, it adjusts the brightness and color temps of the configured lights based on the sun.

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately Adaptive Lighting is not able to adjust the brightness quickly enough: when I turn on lights they go to full brightness and then quickly adjust to a lower level. This is unacceptable.

Ok, I understand.
And with light profiles you don’t see this behaviour, meaning it changes to the correct brightness immediately?

That is correct.

I think using light profiles causes issues with any other methods as the light profiles take precedence and are immediate. The reason I am using light profiles and do not want to abandon them is they are immediate and apply even when turning on lights via physical ZWave switches (which I need and want).

Some of the light platforms can be turned on with a predefined level for brightness and color, some can only remember their last known value. Either way, chances are high that you don’t want any of these values (if two low or two high) when turning on the lights, for example during the night. Also, if you have lights that do color, transition from previous color before turning off to a newer color would make an annoying flickering.

However, if you start from brightness level 1 (either by default in the native light platform or by setting the brightness to 1 in HA before turning off, case it does not support this as a default setting), transition to either a median or full brightness level would be much easier on the eyes.

You could set a dummy light that has Adaptive Lighting associated to it and keep it on all the time; then forward light.turn_on commands with the brightness (and color, if available) to the real lights. When turning the real light from brightness 1 to whatever level has the dummy light, it would be much or less instantaneous (I think it takes less than 1/10th of a second).

Also, when using multiple lights in a room it would be beneficial to create the group of lights to which commands are sent in the native lights platform (ie. outside HA) as all lights would change at the same time, rather than having HA cycle through the individual lights.

Thank you Petrica. I will experiment with this tonight and see how it goes.

@chris.reeve4 did you ever have luck with this? I’m trying to do the same thing - I was figuring the solution was something along the lines of having a different profile for each hour of the day (or whatever increment you want) and have a way for HA to change which profile it’s using based on a configuration

I guess I’ll add myself to the list of people who want to figure this out :-/ The zigbee bathroom bulb is connected to a physical switch, and we want it to be half as bright when we switch it on during the night…