Default brightness of lamps based on time of day

Hi everyone, I am fairly new to Home Assistant. :slight_smile:

Is there a way to change the brightness of my lamps based on time of day? I.e., starting from 7.30 PM I want my lights to gradually get darker until say 11.30 when they should reach the minimum threshold but not turn off. If I turn on a light, I want it to be at the same level as all other lights.

I’ve been snoozing this project for a while and thought it would be fairly simple, but despite googling for a couple of hours I can’t find any simple smart solution that I can piggy back on. I’ve understood how to gradually dim lights over time, but unless I am mistaken, that will result in that if a light is turned on late, it will be full brightness. I’ve seen some coding that accomplish setting a defualt value, but they were pretty old and fairly complex. It feels like I am missing something.

What is the best way to do this?

I’ve at least created a light group (I think)…

light:
  - platform: group
    name: Alla lampor
    entities:
      - light.belysning_i_kajsas_rum
      - light.hue_ambiance_spot_1
      - light.hue_ambiance_spot_2
      - light.hue_ambiance_spot_3
      - light.hue_ambiance_spot_4
      - light.hue_matsal
      - light.hue_vardagsrum
      - light.hue_white_lamp_3
      - light.dimmable_light_4
      - light.dimmable_light_5
      - light.dimmable_light_6
      - light.dimmable_light_7
      - light.dimmable_light_8
      - light.dimmable_light_9

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Have a look at this:

:bulb: Adaptive Lighting Custom Component that automatically adapts the brightness and color of your lights based on the sun’s temperature but stops when you manually make a change - Share your Projects! / Custom Components - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

2 Likes

Many thanks, will look at this!

Just wanted to come back and say that this was — exactly — what I was looking for. Highly recommended suggestion for anyone struggling to find a solution to the same issue I had. 10/10.

2 Likes