Deleted automation still persists

A few hours ago i configured an automation to pause/play my spotify, through an Insteon Dimmer. I deleted the automation, refreshed the config, restarted the server, and yet that action still remains. There is nothing in the configuration that would cause the dimmer to touch spotify, yet whenever i hit the switch it still pauses/plays it. I even reinstalled Home Assistant. I have spent about an hour on this and am still stumped. Has anybody had this issue? I am running Home Assistant 0.77.3 and running it on OSX 10.13.6

Do you still see the automation in the states developer tools?

How did you restart Home Assistant? If you use the GUI, if there is any configuration error, it will not restart the service, so the automation would remain.

The configuration validation doesn’t return an error, i restarted it through the GUI, and by manually closing and re opening the terminal session that it is running in. And there are no automations in the states developer tools.

That’s very strange. The only other thing I could think of is perhaps another instance copy of homeassistant is somehow still running on the machine. I’d think it would cause a port conflict when the new copy runs, but I’ve seen weirder. I’m not sure how you view running processes in Mac, but a quick way to check would be to stop the one we know is running and see if the automation still plays.

That was it, i remember starting hass as a superuser at one point when i was getting frustrated with some permissions. I went through the Activity Monitor and found a copy of python running underneath the user “root” instead of my own account. When i restarted my Macbook, it must of kept the HA itself running, and close the front end, so i didn’t get any port conflicts. Thanks for the help!

[solved] Howto delete automations? - #2 by micque?