(deprecated) Extensive roller shutter control including shading (brightness, sun position, temperature, forecast)

Ok, good to know :slight_smile:

So, letā€™s start our debugging.
As you can see the last checked condition is conditions/2/conditions/1
Which means we are within condition block 2 (conditions/2). And as we are doing IT we start counting with 0. So itā€™s the third block.

If you take a look at the step config in the lower part of the screen, you can find this (which is block 3):

- or:
      - condition: template
        value_template: >-
          {{ state_attr(blind, 'current_position') | int(default=101) ==
          ventilate_position }}
        value_template: '{{ state_attr(blind, ''current_position'') | int(default=101) == 0 }}'

and conditions/2/conditions/1 means the second (as starting with 0) condition in this block. So itā€™s:

value_template: '{{ state_attr(blind, ''current_position'') | int(default=101) == 0 }}'

So itā€™s, as I assumed, the check of the current position of your blind group.
The opening function is only executed if the attribute current_position is 0 (or ventilate_position).
I just checked my cover groups and they have an attribute current_position. So this shouldnā€™t be the root cause.

Are all the covers of your cover group closed complete (current position = 0) at 07:00?

Well, they were all closed this morning.
If the actuator reported the position = 0 as closed I am not sure.
Looking at there values now while they are open the roller shutters report their position = 100.

Can you close your cover group and check what is reported? ^
ā†’ Developer Tools ā†’ States
Just filter for your cover group and make another screenshot

Closed:

Open:

From that perspective it should just work OK.

Memo: the state changes from 0 to 100 immediately after the command to open and vice versa - but not when it gets to the end point of the respective movement.

Well, this looks as it should.

So I have no idea what is happening in the morning, sorry.
As no one else is reporting this issue, I guess that itā€™s something special with your setup. And I still think that - for whatever reason - the cover group is not reporting the attribute current_position 0 at this point of time.

That assumption appears to be correct. Although the correct state (closed/opened) is reported back after the respective action.
Over time one of the roller shutters erroneously changes its state over night with the effect that the entire group fails to operate.

What is the particular reason to ask for the state before running the action? Why not run the action regardless of the current position/state?

Because a lot of people are doing any manual stuff with their blinds and they donā€™t want that the automation overwrites their manual stuff.
So letā€™s say you drive, for whatever reason, the blind to 40%. If the automation ignores it, it would open or close the blind with the next trigger. But maybe you want the blind to stay at 40% for the next two hours. Or you need a special %-level for your movie theatre and donā€™t want the automation to close/open.
Therefore the automaton is only doing anything for some defined levels.

But if you donā€™t need or want this, just open the blueprint and delete the corresponding lines.

Hi @Eimeel
would you please be so kind and let me know where I can find the reference to the query of the open/closed state within the blueprint?
I am not familiar with blueprint programming but am certain that I can manage to comment these lines out in the local application.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards

In Version 2023110101 delete lines 686-690. But I have no idea if this creates any side effects.
Better solution is to add another condition (to the or-condition starting with line 686) with the corresponding (incorrect) state of your blinds during the morning.

Hi @Eimeel
Thank you for your continous support.
Are you sure with the lines 686-690?

I think I found the lines in 935 - 940???

"alias": "Checking for opening",
                      "conditions": [
                        {
                          "condition": "template",
                          "value_template": "{{ auto_up }}"
                        },
                        {
                          "or": [
                            {
                              "condition": "trigger",
                              "id": "t_bo_1"
                            },
                            {
                              "id": "t_bo_2"
                            },
                            {
                              "id": "t_bo_3"
                            },
                            {
                              "id": "t_bo_4"
                            },
                            {
                              "id": "t_bo_5"
                            },
                            {
                              "id": "t_bo_6"
                            }
                          ]
                        },
                        {
                          "or": [
                            {
                              "value_template": "{{ state_attr(blind, 'current_position') | int(default=101) == ventilate_position }}"
                            },
                            {
                              "value_template": "{{ state_attr(blind, 'current_position') | int(default=101) == 0 }}"
                            }
                          ]
                        },

Version: 2023110101 only contains 920 lines :slight_smile:
I guess you should update.

Did your adjustment of the code with regarding to the tilt position work?

I want to start with this blueprint and shading blinds (Homematic) in the next days. If you had success with the adaption, I would be glad, if you could share your last version.

I havenā€™t been able to test this yet because our house is being renovated. At least I havenā€™t noticed any negative side effects so far. Thatā€™s already a success :wink:
When Iā€™m back at home, of course Icould share my code at end of the week.

1 Like

Hi @Eimeel,
I tried that but it told me the version you recommended was already installed.
I am (yet) not familiar with editing blueprints.
Can you please help me how to edit the blueprint and locate the correct section to comment-out?

As there is no update function for blueprint you have to options:
a) Just delete the blueprint and re-install
b) open the file in the blueprint order, delete everything and copy&paste the code from GitHub.

The correct setion to uncomment is still mentioned at Extensive roller shutter control including shading (brightness, sun position, temperature, forecast) - #69 by Eimeel

Hi @Eimeel,
please help me. I deleted the automations and the blueprint and installed it from the link above. I then edited the blueprint and mine ends with line 1081:

What am I doing wrong here?

Oh, wow. Seems that importing blueprints is killing some line breaks. Sorry.

So itā€™s lines 826-832

- or:
            value_template: '{{ state_attr(blind, ''current_position'') | int(default=101)
              == ventilate_position }}'
            value_template: '{{ state_attr(blind, ''current_position'') | int(default=101)
              == 0 }}'

But if you delete these lines and something strange is happening: I wonā€™t provide any support for this.

Hi @Eimeel,
I commented the lines out with a leading #.
At least this morning the roller shutters opened as expected.
Thank you!

Hi Eimeel, first of all: thank you for this blueprint!

Iā€™ve justed started testing it and thereā€™s a problem. Iā€™m testing with a door having a shutter outside and and an opening sensor. Up and down is working without issues in the mornings and evenings. When shutter ist up during daytime and I open the door, all is fine. When I close the door, the shutter closes to 0%. Thatā€™s strange behaviour. Hereā€™s my config:

id: '1701160626332'
alias: 'Beschattung: BĆ¼ro'
description: ''
use_blueprint:
  path: jmerifjKriwe/automatic_blinds_shading.yaml
  input:
    blind: cover.beschattung_buro_empfanger
    shading_blinds_position: 45
    shading_outdoor_temperatur_sensor: sensor.temperatursensor_temperatur
    shading_min_temperatur: 24
    brightness_sensor: sensor.illumination_average
    shading_sun_brightness_in: 10000
    shading_sun_brightness_out: 5000
    forecast_temp: 24
    door: 'true'
    brightness_down: 20
    brightness_up: 80
    time_up_early: '07:30:00'
    time_up_early_non_workday: '08:00:00'
    time_down_early: '16:00:00'
    shading_elevation_min: 7
    shading_elevation_max: 90
    shading_azimuth_in: 185
    shading_azimuth_out: 315
    shading_min_temperatur2: 24
    ventilate_position: 100
    auto_shading: true
    window_sensor: binary_sensor.fenstergriff_buro_offen

Trace:

Any ideas? :slight_smile:

Yes, I do :slight_smile:
Itā€™s because of this:

- alias: Blinds - closing after ventilate
            and:
              - condition: trigger
                id: "t_bc_4"
                value_template: "{{ auto_ventilate }}"
                value_template: "{{ state_attr(blind, 'current_position') | int(default=101) == ventilate_position }}"
                value_template: '{{ (window_sensor != [] ) and (states(window_sensor) == ''off'') }}'

Iā€™m only able to guess which state the automation currently has. And I use the current_position for this.
So the quick fix for you is to change ventilate_position to 99.

But I have to find a real fix for it. Which is quite quick if I would duplicate code but I donā€™t like this idea so I have to think about it.