Detecting Xbox One Using Nmap

So I just set up Nmap for device tracking. It manages to track a few phones just fine, but refuses to discover my xbox one, even when it is on and in use. I tried to add it manually but it is still consistently shown as away.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have checked my configurations and nothing seems to be out of place.

What do you mean by NPM? Nmap?

Yes. Sorry. Newbie here haha.

Do you use power save mode or instant on?

I have noticed that in instant on mode, the console is never offline and never reports to HA as away.

Although this doesn’t fix the issue of not appearing even when on.

Can it be that HASS and the XBOX are not on the same subnet? (For example your phone + HA via wifi and the xbox connected via Ethernet).

Can you ping your XBox from the PC/Rasperry running HASS?

I would recommend setting up the Xbox Live API and then following some of my templating I did here. I was running into issues with the Xbox giving false positives of being online when it was doing it’s heartbeat checks to microsoft when it was in instant on mode (checking for updates/downloads etc to install while turned off).

You will end up with a sensor that you can use to track Online/Offline and even what application/game is currently on the Xbox.

1 Like

Instant on. I would say not appearing as away would be just as inconvinient for most use cases. Useful knowledge for if I ever get it working though.

Nope. I assigned both static IP’s on the same subnet and made sure they were picking up the correct address. It could be possible that the Xbox does not like being assigned an IP, although I find that doubtful.

Good idea! Even better for what I was trying to do.I will for sure give it a go.