Determining Light Brightness In Blueprint Condition

I copied some of the scripts here for basic motion: Simple Light automation to turn light ON and OFF according to motion in a room for an Aqara P1. I made a slight tweak so that when it goes from off to on, its set to 30% brightness.

Overall, it works pretty well, however I would like to be able to manually adjust the brightness. Whenever I change the brightness on the physical dimmer or HA, the blueprint sets it back to 30%. I’ve seen samples for lux meters, but this isn’t really applicable.

This is what I’ve cobbled together from the great examples

blueprint:
  name: Turn Light ON and OFF MK
  description: Turn light on when motion is detected, and turn it off when motion is not detected.
  domain: automation
  input:
    motion_sensor:
      name: Motion Sensor
      description: Choose the motion sensor to control the lights.
      selector:
        entity:
          domain: binary_sensor
          device_class: motion
    target_light:
      name: Target Light
      description: Choose the lights that you want to control.
      selector:
        target:
          entity:
            domain: light
    delay_time:
      name: Number of minutes 
      description: Number of minutes, after which the lights will turn off.
      selector:
        number:
          min: 0
          max: 10
          step: 1
          unit_of_measurement: "minutes"
    start_time:
      name: Start Time
      default: "17:00:00"
      description: Time this should start
      selector:
        time:          
    end_time:
      name: End Time
      description: Time this should end
      default: "07:00:00"
      selector:
        time:
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: !input motion_sensor
    to: 'on'
  - platform: state
    entity_id: !input motion_sensor
    to: 'off'
    for:
      minutes: !input delay_time
condition:
  - condition: time
    # At least one of the following is required.
    after: !input start_time
    before: !input end_time
action:
  - choose:
    - conditions: "{{ trigger.to_state.state == 'on'  }}"
      sequence:
      - service: light.turn_on
        data:
          brightness_pct: 30
        target: !input target_light
    default:
      - service: light.turn_off
        data: {}
        target: !input target_light
mode: single

For clarification, you are saying the lights on, you have dimmer set manually to 90%, the BP detects movement and sets it back to 30%?
If that is the problem, and a condition of this BP running that the light is off, then it only donks with settings when it turns the light on.

If that’s not your problem, how about this?

Yes, it gets set back to 30% after I manually tweak it to a value besides 30%.

I’ve seen that and other ideas, but they all set brightness to a certain day / night value or light sensor. The other types of solutions are full overrides that I don’t really want either.

Is this your scenario then?
I want the value in the BP to change so that the next time it turns on, it has the new setting?
Doable but klunky. It would involve capturing the brightness every time it changes either manually or in HA and storing that as a helper, then referring to that helper when motion turns it on.

Frankly, anding a condition not to turn it on via motion if it is already on would be much better.

Not really. I’m doing a bad job of describing it - let me give it another shot.

• Walk into dark room, turn on light to 30% (I’m a bit light sensitive)
  • Depending on what I’m doing I might need a bit more light or a lot more light, so I increase the brightness on the wall or HA to x percent (and it stays at that percentage)
  • Walk out of room, turn off
  • Hour later, walk back into room and turn on light to 30% again

Then this.

An alternative is have another button or voice command that locks the light on for a couple of hours unless cancelled. Motion turns it on, you set brightness, you tell it to stay there a couple of hours. That either times out or you button/voice it off when done.

1 Like

In my script, which was thrown off above, there is a condition that the script performs the inclusion once and until the motion sensor shows its absence, the brightness will not change, but also in general you can make a condition that if the light is already on, there is nothing not to do, but how to implement it when a lot can be used in one place light sources