/dev/ttyACM0 not found

Hi,

Today I downloaded and installed Home Assistant on my Rasberry Py 3.
Unfortunately configuring Z-Wave was not possible, because no device was created for my Z-Wave.me USB stick, although I do see it with lsusb and in dmesg:

lsusb

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00
Bus 001 Device 014: ID 0658:0200

dmesg

[ 3028.226157] usb 1-1.3: new full-speed USB device number 14 using dwc_otg
[ 3028.329415] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=0658, idProduct=0200
[ 3028.329438] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
[ 3028.332215] cdc_acm 1-1.3:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

/dev/

core-ssh:/config# ls /dev/
fd full init kmsg mqueue null ptmx pts random shm stderr stdin stdout tty urandom zero

Works fine under openHAB, so no hardware issue.

Any idea?
What are the major and minor device numbers for creating it by hand with mknod?

Regards,

Kees

I had a similar problem that drove me crazy for a while. My issue is not likely to be yours, but may give you some clues where to look.

What happened to me is that during the open-zwave install process it got installed by a different user than homeassistant. This kept it from loading and then there was no ttyACM0. I finally figured it out and just did a soft link to correct the problem.

Here are some key clues:

1. do a ls -lha /dev/tty* command and ensure that /dev/ttyACM0 exists. If it doesn’t then open-zwave is likely not loading.
  2. do a locate locate zwcfg_0x and see if it shows an instance in /home/homeassistant/.homeassistat only. If it shows up somewhere else, that is possibly where it got erroneously installed.
  3. If it is somewhere besides the .homeassistant directory you must first stop homeassistant. Then put in the soft link from .homeassistant to the other location. Then, very importantly, reboot the whole machine. Homeassistant saves the current z-wave state in its database when it is shut down and will overwrite your new file on restart unless you reboot. In my case I also had to remove the db (database) file from the .homeassistant directory before the reboot. That was not a big issue for a fresh install, but may not be practical for someone who has this problem when they want to save their db.

Hope this helps.

Is it the razberry board? If so, device should be at /dev/ttyAMA0

Ignore me, just read it’s the USB stick.

Mine is a R-Pi and it shows as ACM0. That is probably because I am using a USB drive as my primary memory so it is showing as AMA0.

1 Like

@kees You can use /dev/serial/by-id/ xxxx in your config. The benefit is that it won’t change if removed and replaced other devices add etc.

See if it shows up
ls /dev/serial/by-id

1 Like

Give it a good ol’ sudo apt-get install libudev-dev if you’re running Rapsbian.

@txNgineer thank’s for your reply
In my orignal post there is a listing of /dev/ with only tty without any extention unfortunately.
Can’t find any zwcfg_0*

@zarthan thank’s for your reply, but no directory named serial in my /dev/

What flavor of linux are you using?

Hass.io latest

Just plug in the USB stick and add the following to your configuration.yaml:

zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0

and it should just work.

Note: restart HomeAssistant after modifying the YAML file.

@firstof9 thank you for your reply
I will give it a try when I boot hass.io/home assistant again.

That should work. If it doesn’t work, install the SSH add-on, SSH to your HASS.io install, and type hassio host hardware and post the result here.

If you haven’t set up ssh, I would do that. Another thing to try would be removing all other USB devices

I have a similar problem described here: Help - Z-wave not working despite devices report as ready - massive log file

There is no /dev/ttyACM0 on my RPi3 running hass.io 0.63. My OZW_log.txt quickly grows to enormous proportions with several hundred thousand lines over a few hours.

My z-wave network used to work quite well, but suddenly I started getting issues where the z-wave devices were not initialized at all, not even visible in HA.

1 Like