Device Class question- how to make my entities card look the same?

How can I make the presence sensor in this card to appear like the rest of the entities? I suspect that it is a Device Class selection, but none of the built-in classes looks right.

pings

type: entities
entities:
  - entity: binary_sensor.broker_ping
  - entity: binary_sensor.naboo_ping
  - entity: binary_sensor.router_ping
  - entity: binary_sensor.serenity_ping
  - entity: binary_sensor.jeep_status
  - entity: input_text.jeep_presence

It’s an input text. It does not have device classes.

Why are you using an input text for a presence sensor?

Um, because it works?

The sensor is the status from an ESP8266-01 in the Jeep. When it connects the status goes “on”. When the Jeep is away, or out of range of my WiFi, it goes “off”. But to save the Jeep battery, I put the ESP to sleep- two minutes asleep, 15 sec awake. So the input_text is set by an automation that looks for the status to be “off” for three minutes before setting to “away”.

Use this instead of the input text and automation:

template:
  - binary_sensor:
      - name: "Jeep Presence"
        device_class: connectivity # to look the same as the others.
        state: "{{ is_state('binary_sensor.your_esp_jeep_status_sensor_here', 'on' }}"
        delay_off: "0:03:00"

Thanks. I am learning here and your replies are appreciated. I can see where making the test of the status do all the work instead of an automation would be more straightforward.

I must be a slow learner because I am just becoming comfortable with automations. Templates are the next black art I need to learn.

I need to work on the template because the input_text and automation also triggers from “off” to “on” with no delay. “On” to “off” has the delay so that the deep-sleep of the ESP isn’t confused for “Away”.

Also, where would I put the template?

alias: set jeep presence
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.jeep_status
    to: 'off'
    for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 3
      seconds: 0
  - platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.jeep_status
    to: 'on'
condition: []
action:
  - service: input_text.set_value
    data:
      value: |
        {% if is_state('binary_sensor.jeep_status', 'on') %}
          Home
        {% else %}
          Away
        {% endif %}
    target:
      entity_id: input_text.jeep_presence
mode: single

No you don’t. That’s exactly what delay_off: "0:03:00" does in the template binary sensor I posted. It switches on instantly but won’t turn off unless the state is off continuously for three minutes.

It goes in your configuration.yaml file like other integrations. With template: hard against the margin.

Thanks. I’ll try it tomorrow as it is 2AM here.