Device not reporting, unable to re-include

Hello everyone,

I have some issues with two particular sensor. Both are Zooz ZSE40 Ver. 2.0 sensors. Let me start with some context:

About two weeks ago, I installed the sensors. They were working flawlessly and were quite snappy. Batteries are still at 100%. About a week ago, my Pi’s SD Card died and I decided to reinstall the OS on the new card instead of flashing my usual disk image. Fast-forward to today, my Pi is back up, Home-Assistant is running and everything works as it used to… with the exception of those two sensors. Their led still flashes red when it detects motion.

My controller is a HUSBZB-1. My ZWave network contains ~20 wired devices and only 6 battery sensors. All my other devices work perfectly, wired or battery-powered. For the sake of it, I tried excluding one of my switches. It worked. I then included it again. Still works.

For reference, that’s the instruction pamphlet for my device: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0218/7704/files/zooz-z-wave-plus-4-in-1-sensor-zse40-ver2-manual.pdf

I haven’t done anything with “Device 2” so I can compare results. Here’s what I did with “Device 1”:
a) manually wake it up. Nothing is reported. OZW logs show nothing as well.
b) “Test device” in the ZW panel and wake the device manually. Nothing happens either.
c) “Exclude device” in the ZW panel and press the device’s button twice… Nothing. OZW logs only show the usual ControllerCommand_RemoveDevice command sent and nothing else after that.
4) Factory reset. Nothing.

So after all that, the device still being part of my network would be a surprise. So I go ahead and shutdown HA, remove the device and entities from the entity_registry, device_registry and zwcfg_*.xml. (The configs are backed up so I can revert). I try an inclusion and nothing happens. OZW and HA show nothing relevant.

So here I am, not sure what to try next. Hopefully someone here will have a better idea than me on getting those sensors back on track!

Have a read of this post, it might help:

Problem solved and that’s just me being stupid.

The CR123A battery was just too weak and so the LED would flash, but nothing else would happen. The Z-Wave entity reported 100$ battery_level before the crash so it tricked me into thinking the battery was okay. Anyways, I now tweaked the report settings so they last longer.

I was talking with Zooz’s technical support during the last couple days and they say the battery in the ZSE40 Ver. 2 should last many months. They are sending me two replacement batteries. I’ll keep them posted on battery levels :slight_smile: Great customer support with them.