Device Wiki

I bought a new flood detector the other day and forgot that I had to change some Z wave settings to make it report correctly on my other one. Then there are other devices like Monoprice PIR sensors that require a template binary sensor to work correctly, Z wave smoke/CO alarms that require a template binary sensor to work correctly, etc. etc.

I was thinking, maybe we need a device wiki on the Home Assistant site. Then anyone could come in and search for their device, whether Z wave, Zigbee, wifi, whatever, and get all the instructions they need to make it work as well as user-generated templates and other configuration files. It could even include instructions on how to pair correctly (think locks and secure devices), factory reset, etc.

How hard would it be to add this feature and allow for users to contribute to it? I know nothing about web development, but would definitely contribute content.

Personally, I think this is a really god idea.

Would happily contribute to the devices that I’ve invested a lot of time in understanding and adding automations for/etc.

:slight_smile:

I’m thinking a bit like the telldus wiki pages http://tellstick-net.wikia.com/wiki/Tellstick_Net_Wiki but a bit more sophisticated.

the good news is - HA already gives us a great categorisation structure based on the different platforms/components

This goes in the same direction as

One more recommendation for a device wiki. I have found idiosyncrasies with devices, had I known ahead of time would have save me a lot of time.