Dexcom + Alexa + Node Red

I am interested in exploring this solution, but you started in the middle of the story. What is xdrip? I thought it was a brand of pump.

What integration? There is no xdrip integration in Home Assistance?

Android Emulator? Now I am really going to need a step-by-step tutorial.

in home assistant, if you are running the newest version they have a dexcom intregration. you go to configuration, devices and services, add integrations. dexcom is in there. you just put the login and password in and it will update.

as for the xdrip / influxDB idea? that is a bit more complicated. xdrip is a app for android (maybe iphone too but idk), i have it use a dexcom share (login and password) and in xdrip you can have it upload the data to the “cloud” account (in this case influxdb). then in node red you have to use influxdb node to pull the data from the database. it really is a pain in the butt doing it this way which is why i choose to do the home assistant way.

I want to use the dexcom API to pull the data and not need home assistant or xdrip/influxdb because the whole point of my alert system was to run on its own. yes, i will have to rely on my internet and dexcom services to be up but that is better.

I can write up a tutorial on the xdrip/influxdb method but it will take some time.

Thanks for filling in the gaps. I really thought that xdrip was a pump, so that is why I was confused.

I did investigate using the Dexcom API, but the hoops to jump through to get access were geared toward a product, not personal use. Let me know if you have better luck.

I have not done anything with BLE, but I am wondering why I couldn’t use an HC-05 on an Arduino to sniff the data from the transmitter?

the bad part with the dexcom, it only has 2 channels on it. 1 would be use for the phone or receiver and other would be for the pump. also, the phone can not run dexcom program and xdrip for 1 channel. i find this super annoying since technically it is 1 channel, not 2.

What pump? Are you saying that I can’t link a BLE receiver to the transmitter?

if you don’t have a pump that you can link to dexcom, then yes. we have a tslim2 that we link to ours so the phone on 1 channel and the tslim on the other channel.

Any idea on how to pull from the dexcom api? I honestly would like to eliminate the middleman (HA) and just have node-red pull the data directly.

How is HA a “middle man”? (Just trying to understand that rationale.)

A quick google turns up many results on accessing the Dexcom API.

Are you perhaps asking for something, without HA Integration, that calls the API through http post/get?

Perhaps this is what you’re looking for?

https://developer.dexcom.com/endpoint-overview

Ok, so HA pulls the dexcom data. It then goes to node-red. Node-red has several flows dealing with alert systems. It also does some math to figure out difference and cut the date out of the updated time so it just has the time and no date. After that it pushes the data back into HA.

If HA decides not to pull the data, it then breaks both … The way I have this setup, HA is the middle man.

Now knowing that HA uses pydexcom to get the data, I now pull that data directly in node red and don’t have to rely on HA to be up or pull the data. No my node-red is not on docker like most people do on HA. I needed the alert system to be fully independent of HA. It used to be when I used to pull the data from sugarmate. I never had an issue with the json data from home assistant.

I just did the change yesterday as I knew nothing about how to use python.

Btw, if you are an individual looking to try and work with dexcom to set something like this up, don’t waste their time. They will only help certain groups of people.

The Dexcom integration has worked for me for at least two years. The Dexcom API is as difficult to work with as is AWS. I haven’t tried it, but have you looked at Xdrip on your phone? I think I read that there was an API for Xdrip. (Assuming that you are using your phone with the G6 and not their PDA that was designed in 1980).

Xdrip doesn’t do the trending right and sometimes xdrip won’t update for a reading. Now xdrip is not directly connected to the dexcom itself. It is using a share.

Hi guys,
Fellow T1D here :wave:

I currently have the Medtronic 780G and have successfully managed to get my CGM data into Xdrip via an Android Emulator on my PC- this works fine but I was wondering if anyone could share details as to how I would go about getting the xDrip data into an influx DB.

Many thanks,
Martin

I’ve never officially created an app, let alone one that ties to apps/tech already available.

I do have something of a talent and intuition in coding and software and a passion as a mother of a T1D and also as a nurse and diabetic educator.

What can I learn from here and help with to integrate Dexcom and/or Medtronic pump live monitoring…

I want to make these connect at home in our smart hub / Amazon Echo on our show/family devices.

1 Like

My daughter has just gone from having a Dexcom G6 with a tslim pump, to now having a Dexcom G6 with a ypsomed pump.

Up until we had to merge the dexcom into the App ypso uses, we were using the dexcom app with the share function to having HA read her sugars out over google when it was below a range, or above a range.

But now that dexcom is linked to the ypsomed app, I can no longer use the dexcom reader on her phone to send HA the blood sugar.

Any idea how I can get around this, and pull the information from the app, which is: CamAPS FX

Being only 2… and having a google next to the bed. It’s been a godsend to hear if he sugar is going low etc.

Any assistance would be amazing :slight_smile:

I too have Dexcom G6 and Ypsomed pump, but I do not have them linked to each other.

However, previously, what was the setup?

In the Dexcom app:

Settings —> Share

Is Share enabled?

My HA instance has its own user account with Dexcom, independent of my account, and HA is able to receive / view my Dexcom values via the Share method.

I shouldn’t think this would be different if Dexcom and Ypso Pump are linked/paired to each other.

If it is the case that the Dexcom app is no longer in use because the Ypso app has taken over this function, another method may be to set up an independent notification service.

ie:

1. create an http endpoint for HA in NodeRed
  2. use Shortcuts (iPhone) or MacroDroid / Tasker (Android), make a looping repeating schedule to Get the Dexcom Value and Post it to the http endpoint.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you do to resolve this issue.

1 Like

Sharing is enabled with in the app. But the issue is that the dexcom app, can’t pick up the sensor over Bluetooth, but the CamAPS FX app has taken ‘control’ of it for it’s closed looping.

Unless I’m doing something wrong. But all the documentation I’ve read for the ypso and CamAPS said to remove the dexcom from the Bluetooth settings and to even remove the dexcom app from the phone too.

So it looks like I’m going to have to grab the data from somewhere else.

(Currently, I have reinstalled the dexcom app. And it’s searching for the transmitter, but I’m pretty sure it won’t work as the BLE channel is already in use)

Does the CamAPS publish the glucose value and trend somewhere, like Dexcom Share does?

I can confirm this is a purposeful limitation of Dexcom transmitter.

Some months ago I got a new phone, and in my transition phase I was trying to use Dexcom on both phones (Android and iPhone). But the pairing always failed on the iPhone.

It was actually related to Dexcom preventing a single transmitter code from being used twice. I even tried using different Dexcom accounts, and failure each time. Eventually I couldn’t even pair back with my original device and account.

Dexcom support indicated what I was attempting was not permitted. I had to reset my account and remove the transmitter from both accounts. It was a process.

It appears to be that whatever licensing Cam APS has with Dexcom, it’s doing the same thing.

If you really do trust the “closed loop” system, I would tend to go back to my first suggestion and instead of relying on some cloud service to post and get the data into HA, have your phone push the data out directly to HA.

So, I tried again with native dexcom to no avail, I did however manage to get xDrip+ installed, and it is actually reading (or scraping) the data from the reader and the pump too. So this is a start! Hopefully I can grab that data, and import it onto something nightscout or something that can than be imported to HA. Maybe. I’m just guessing. I haven’t gotten that fair yet.