Did 0.94 break Owntracks or is it just my install?

Getting an error on device trackers as per below. Seems to be originating with Owntracks which I use for monitoring phone batteries and locations. Can’t see any device_trackers in my entities now (including icloud). Haven’t changed anything in the config for owntracks or icloud since 0.93.
Anyone else having this issue or is it something peculiar to my setup (Hassio under Docker on a Ubuntu machine).

Error during setup of component device_tracker
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py”, line 153, in _async_setup_component
hass, processed_config)
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/device_tracker/init.py”, line 115, in async_setup
legacy_platforms = await setup.async_extract_config(hass, config)
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/device_tracker/setup.py”, line 109, in async_extract_config
platform.name, platform.type))
ValueError: Unable to determine type for owntracks: None

Same here :frowning: Just updated form 0.88.2 to 0.94.1 and seems that owntracks is a bit buggy

Do you have your owntracks devices listed under known_devices? In .94 owntracks has moved to integrations. Changing the way it’s setup to the new method might help.

See more here… https://community.home-assistant.io/t/0-94-smarthab-watson-tts-azure-event-hub/120228?u=mandm78

Delete your Owntracks from config files.

Restart HA

Go to Configuration>>integrations page
Push “+” , select Owntracks and setup there

Not sure about what to do with items in known_devices.yaml files since that’s not used or going away

Delete or comment out the owntracks entities from known-devices. They’re not needed in .94 and they could cause duplicate entities (where the active one becomes “_2”, etc.)

Only those who did not read the Release Notes before upgrading. :wink:

Thanks, that did it. Removing the owntracks config from config.yaml seems to have cleared the issue and all the device trackers are now visible and owntracks is working via the integrations page. Yes I have the duplicated device id’s and will need to clean up known devices but at least the device_tracker module is firing up OK now.

BTW, not sure I like moving everything to a database. I like Linux specifically because you can get in and edit the config files. ie Text files are safe, easily backed up etc. Personal preference.

Ultimately it will be better and result in cleaner installs

Technically you can still muck around in backend if desired.

Just hoping to put in some community feedback here, I really do not like so many things being moved into the “database” systems (ya, ya, I can shutdown HA and edit the .storage files), but this really removes a primary thing I was attracted to HA for in the first place.

I realize that it’s easier for many to configure the system via the UI, and I’m all for making that possible. But it is not simply better and comes at some non-trivial costs. Text based configuration files allow us version control, automated testing, easy integration with other pipelines, etc. Much of this is lost (or at least made much more difficult) by the more opaque storage backends and databases.

Please keep YAML and flat text files as a first class method for configuring and maintaining HA.

7 Likes

So, Now that this integration has been updated, How do we handle user pictures? I’m not seeing anywhere to set the ‘picture’ field anymore, as we could before in known_devices.yaml.

Pictures/icons can be added via customize.

Configuration, customization

Thanks! That was it.