Different alarming scenarios depending on armed state

Good evening HA community,

I’ve set up the manual alarm control panel and I’m using two different armed states: away and night. I’m fine to define different scenarios to trigger the alarm depending on whether it’s armed_away or armed_night.

However, I’d also like to create different actions to be fired depending on the arming mode of the alarm system. I don’t know how to realize this since starting from the states pending to triggered, there is no more differentiation in between how it was armed and in what way or by what kind of trigger it was triggered…

To make a long story short: I want different alarm scenarios to be started dependent on whether the alarm was triggered in away or night mode.

Any idea on how to create the automation/s?

All the best and kind regards
Benedikt

1 Like

This is a very old question, but as I struggled with this myself and only found this relevant thread on the topic, I fugre I’ll share anyway, in case anyone has the same question later. There might be a better way of doing it, but this works. Hopefully it will be of use to someone.

I used the input text integration. I have an automation that triggers when the alarm is armed, and writes the arm mode to an input text variable. Then I have two different automations for alarm actions, one for home, and one for away. One of them has a condition that the text entity is set to “armed_away” and the other has a condition that it is set to “armed_home”.

I stumbled across this solution in this thread when I was struggling to store information about what sensor had triggered an alarm across automations. After I while I realised this is a handy way of storing whatever variables you might want to reuse also outside of alarms. As you can see from the thread, it’s also possibly to do a similar thing with mqtt.

I think it’s strange the alarm_panel does not have some sort of integrated way of handling this. I certainly don’t want the sirens to blast of at full volume if someone goes downstairs in the morning and forgets to disable the alarm. And I’d asume different delay times is less of a customization between arm modes than many would like.