Dimmable Switch Confusion (help pls)

Hey

So this is my second post in these forums, and I am trying to juggle studying for my finals and planning a home automation setup (not a good idea). I bought 4 dimmable LED spotlight style bulbs:

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30304651/

Then I fitted them into this holder:

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/50337702/

These are all hooked up to one simple switch (ON/OFF), and I would like to be able to dim them through home assistant using Alexa. Iā€™ve searched around and found that there are a couple of alternatives but I donā€™t understand completely how they work. A Sonoff basic WiFi wireless switch seems to be good for the job.

But is it capable of dimming i.e. can it serve as a variable resistor? Or must I buy a physical dimmer switch with a turning knob and then somehow link it to the Sonoff? These bulbs are just regular bulbs; no ā€œsmartā€ features built in, so a dimming feature will have to come from outside the bulb, unlike a Philips Hue.

Any guidance as to what to buy and how to set this system up is greatly appreciated.

Quentin

Why you donā€™t use Tradfri Lights and the Tradfri gateway for controlling your lights via App and/or Alexa?
http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/80365270/?cid=ps|de|no_cc_topic|4MLRrWwPr0gHjIOUyfOOktEtkrhBQM

Alternatively you can use them also with a philips hue bridge.
I do not see the advantage of fiddling around with your switch?

Thanks for your reply CM000n.

The thing is that I bought the bulbs a few months ago before I started planning home automation. Also, I would like to reduce costs as much as possible. A Sonoff device costs around $5 and could potentially control all 4 of my current bulbs whereas a Hue Bridge or TrƄdfri will set me back way more.

Also I wish to implement more functionality besides switches, such as motorized blinds, thermostats etc. so I would need everything to be based on one hub, Home Assistant. I am trying to avoid using apps or remote controls or bridges and instead just go to my localhost and access the UI / speak to Alexa

Thanks,

Quentin

Hi @Quentin, ok, that makes sense :wink:
Sadly I donā€™t use any Sonoff or MQTT stuff for now.
But as far as I know Sonoff switches are capable of dimming.

Maybe this thread is a good point for you to start with?:

Thank you for the suggestion! I need to read more about Sonoff capabilities, but the post you directed me to seems very similar to what I need. The only thing is that hijinx used a Philips Hue that could respond to MQTT. I donā€™t think I could do the same with my bulbs.

In fact, hijinx asks if anyone knows how to set up the dimming with an incandescent 240V bulb (not a smart bulb like Hue Iā€™m guessing). So maybe after all there isnā€™t an easy way to do this without buying a few smart bulbs. Iā€™ll have to read onā€¦

Quentin.

1 Like

Not an expert at this, but Sonoff is only ON/OFF.

For dimming in existing switch you would need (i think) something like Aeotec Zwave micro switch and dimmer. They are expensive though

Nano, no need for Live cable
Micro, needs live cable

Okay, then I was wrong with my guess.
Sry for that @Quentin .

Thanks for the rectification and the link @anon35356645

Decent wireless and hubless dimmers that you can use with dumb bulbs, and especially if they can replace switches that donā€™t have a neutral, are still THE holy grail product of home automation. Whoever cracks it will make a fortune!

1 Like

Cheers @anon35356645, yeah I think Iā€™ll just install a manual rheostat knob for now, and use Sonoff for other lights. I donā€™t want to spend too much .

No problem @CM000n, thanks for your prompt replies :slight_smile:

@Bobby_Nobble I didnā€™t expect it to be such a big task, but I figure itā€™s hard to adapt future technologies to suit those of the ā€œpastā€. Itā€™s all electrical engineering I guess.

Thatā€™s exactly it, traditional remote dimmers that operate by IR operate by continuously letting the tiny amount of current through which is enough for the dimmer to work but not enough that you can see any light from the bulbs. You can get zwave ones that operate the same way but the price of them plus the hub they need to operate is just stupid. Wifi unfortunately needs too much power to pull this trick off, hence why you need neutral at the switch so they can have an independent power supply.