DIY Video Doorbell with Voice Response | ESPHome / ESP32 Camera / DFPlayer Mini

see my previous post.
Use a decent power supply. I solved all issues when used 5V/2A

After a long time, I have managed to complete the whole project.
Everything is working and the result is great.

Her are some pictures as promised.

As you can can see on the 2nd photo I replaced white silicone with velcro tape.
Now I can remove it much more easily if I have too.

Thank you again for such a great project.
I loved it from day one and I have spent many creative hours to conclude it :slight_smile:

PS I have already start working on an alternative 3D design with a double back cover that will be able to fit on the wall properly and and a stand - holder for the camera.

1 Like

Wow. That’s great. Congratulations. I’m really pleased you got it working.

I’d love to see the new case when you’ve finished it.

Hello,

First of all thank you for the great project and documentation. At the moment I’m in the process of implementing this. I’m still waiting for a few parts and I think for me the hardest part will become the 3d printed case. So it might takes a while before I have everything up and running.

In the meanwhile I was playing around with the camera module and I found that the refresh rate is much better is I add

camera_view: live

to the lovelace dashboard.
sometimes there are small hickups, but for me it works.

My question is, Is there a reason not to use this live mode, for instance it might cause something else to fail?

Sorry for the delay in replying @bkbartk . How are you getting on now?

I didn’t do any testing to confirm it, but my fear with using live mode was heat and therefore longevity of the ESP32. Are you still using live mode?

I have most of it working on my protoboard and without the using the case the esp32 module definitely won’t overhead while using live mode.

I tried to modify the case a little bit so I would be able to print it using my 100x100x100 3D printer. but I found that my 3D skills aren’t sufficient enough to accomplish this.

This morning actually I was looking at an RTSP doorbell which also meets my needs without having to create the 3D model.

I still dig this project And I’m planning to use some of it, but for now I’m also looking at a different approach.

Yeah, RSTP would be great to have. I’m toying with the idea of reworking the project to use a Pi Zero 2 to get RTSP and maybe two way audio. Been trialing bits of it. I’d like to use RTSP with Frigate for object/person recognition.

I’ll try out live mode in the meantime.

Re the 3D print, my printer is 130 X 130. I printed this diagonally to make it fit. If you do decide to proceed with the project, you could always get a 3D printing bureau to do it.

1 Like

Hello!!
I’m working on this project and was told that with ESP32 CAM, when using the camera there’s only 2 pins available, but in your project you use more than that, can you explain?
Then I was a little lost with the code is it possible to have it available as a full?
Thank youuu!!

All of the op code etc it available on their GitHub link in the first post.

What a great project!
Recently i have build this and am still waiting for one item to come to complete it.
I saw that there are more people who stumble over stability problems as i do. Well possible true
that power suply is an isue but i tested this while adding

#esp32_camera_web_server:

- port: 8080

mode: stream

if it is a power problem that gives stabillity issues then it would also occur when accessing the cam over its own web server. Well it does not. no stabillity problem. I also tested it with an arduino code
with face recognition in it and all features like fps, jpeg quality etc etc. no probems for one week and no hickups.
I 'am under the impression that the API connection with HAS gives a stability problem.

Anyone else got stability problems and if so what solved it and if it was the power suply wich one did you buy and add (please provide a link).

Again, great project!

2 Likes

Hello ronschaeffer,

Sorry for my limited English.

I’m really impressed, for this job, I’m getting into home automation with Home Assistant and that’s partly what I was looking for for the future project (after setting up the alarm).

I think it’s possible, but as I discover HA, is it possible to add one or 2 buttons in the smartphone notification, in order to control the electric strike for the parcel hatch and the door.

The top of the top would be to have a doorbell with 2 buttons, and redirect the notification, either to my neighbor or to me (we are only 2).

The link to the lens doesn’t seem to work. In the multitude of conversations, I saw that you had provided another link, but that too no longer works. Do you have another link, or at least the designation that would allow you to find some, because I only came across camera lenses.
thanks again

Great project here. I’ve successful built it. Have had some issues (some not resolved yet…)

1. The files in the sd card have to be renamed to 001, 002, etc, but the VERY ORDER is estabilished in the sequence you copy it into the sd card (if you copy 002 first, and then 001, when you play “1” file, it will play the 002.mp3. I was going crazy. This can be avoided by using play_mp3 call, and putting the files inside an “mp3” dirercory, with file named 0001whateveryouwant.mp3, 0002errergdf.mp3 etc etc.
  2. I don’t like my cam snapshot is public visible, so i have saved the camera file in “/media/doorbells/snapshot.jpg” and then sent via notification from “/media/local/doorbells/snapshot.jpg” (…but it is not shown on dashboard, only via www sharing)
  3. I’ve added one more button to push
  4. I’ve added an action on timeout, who play noone is in.

The issue i have now, is related to the play_loop. It doesn’t work! I’ve also set loop:true into the ESPHome sensor config, but it still not repeat the track.
Any advice?

Edit (since is still the last post …)

I’ve successful added the last visitor image on the dashboard from the media folder. Just create a camera from file, and include it in the dashboard:

Also i was having stability issues, so i added an heatsink to the HOT esp32.
Since i had changed the camera to the OV 5640 with another heatsink mounted on it, and they will be extremely hot, i’ve also added a small 5v fan.

Now the esp32 is at 29⁰degree, and the cam around 45.

Still have the loop issue.

Hi @ronschaeffer

Love the project and looking to do something simliar, but with peephole design. Was just ordering the hardware and got stuck on the Lens Cover. Would you happen to have another supplier for it please? The eBay link has expired.

Thanks

Thanks, @n4vm4n

Here is a new link: 16mm Circular Clear Round Flat Glass Cabochons | eBay. I’ll update the README on Github.

1 Like