Do I still need Utility Meter now that we have "Energy"?

It’s probably not possible on the energi panel for individual devices.
What do you mean Especially since the Utility Meter doesn’t take old data into account?

The Utility Meter starts tracking/converting only from the moment it is created even though the sensor data it uses exists for the last werks and months.
But you cannot see Utility Meter results from any point before creation of the respective meter.

So, if sensor a started recording in January but it was not added to the Utility Meter config as a daily cycle until August, then I cannot see any daily cycle data prior to August.
If it wanted to, all data would be available to create daily data all the way back to the very first measurement of the sensor. But it doesn’t.

You still need the utility meters. The values displayed in the energy dashboard are generated from the LTS tables in the recorder database. So you can’t use those displayed values, e.g. the daily totals for devices without creating your own SQL sensors.

1 Like

How unfortunate :frowning:
Is there any way of making Utility Meter read the data available in the db instead of just new data?

No there is no way to do that and I’m not sure why you would want to.

Because I would like to know how the daily consumption changed after I made some hardware settings adjustments. For that I need to see daily consumption before and after those adjustments. But I did not create the utility meter until after.

How far back does your recorder history go (10 days by default if you have not changed it)?

How long ago did you make the changes?

There is an SQL sensor that you could use to get an energy sensor’s state 10 days ago. This you could then feed to a utility meter to determine the daily energy 10 days ago. This will update in real time though. So you won’t see the final daily value until the end of the day.

My recorder records very select data but indefinitely.
So creating a single data point would not really be worth it. It would not help in comparing different settings (usually tested over multiple days to get decent statistics).

That’s really not a good idea. If you want to store long term data use influxDB.

I am using MariaDB at the moment. Not good?

No. Not Good.

Hmmm quite liked MariaDB. But I will take another look at the syntax of influxDB.

But changing the db will not solve my problem. I still don’t have the information I am looking for.

You use both.

MariaDB for short term data and LTS. Influx for long term.

I may be mis-remembering, but don’t most dashboard cards then only access the MariaDB and not support getting long term info from influx? I vaguely recall that there was an issue using influx.

I did put some things together for graphing LTS here:

Not exactly what you want, but maybe it helps.
It has its limitations though.

I disabled LTS. As I am collecting only the info that I want and am collecting it indefinitely, I do not use LTS.

You either use Grafana to graph them or use an InfluxDB sensor.

I am not a big fan of the grafana syntax and I do like my charts to be part of my dashboards.
While creating sensors is possible, it is the least attractive solution.
Manual creation means more maintenance work and more possible breaking changes. In that case it would even be easier to create charts that perform summations or evalutions directly (which I did not want to do unless absolutely necessary).

You’re using LTS if you’re using the energy dashboard.

Your only option is to create a sensor in some way, shape, or form. You cannot get the info you want out of the current implementation without making a new sensor.

Okay, thank you.
In that case it is probably easier/just as difficult to have apexcharts or plotly do the summation.