Door bell with pi camera and motion detection

Sure, no need to use IFTTT however. Could try MQTT or rest.
The latency comes from the the dash connecting to the wifi, so in my experience it was literally a couple of seconds before the push was registered on my home network.

Another idea I will throw out there would be to use the facial recognition to detect when someone is at the door, no button required at all then :grinning:

1 Like

Also nodeMCU is worth a look. Pi nano requires separate dongle for wifi, and has a larger footprint than nodeMCU.

1 Like

Yeah I want to play with this, but once I got it on my door to properly test it, then I need to do more research.

1 Like

Indeed, probably lower pwer consumption too.
I am only just getting used to the Pi and Jasper, although I have toyed with arduino sketches, most of my sensors are on the arduino nano using the mysensors platform.

I wouldnt even know if the NodeMCU is cabable of processing images from a camera , let alone knowing how to do it.
I might have a little search to see if its easy enough to do. But now ive started on the pi I still want to finish it, my todo list is still fairly long.

1-Build a http frontend to change options and settings, and maybe a live feed, to view remotely.
2-Workout how to power it outside,(battery power is preferable)
3-Cleanup some of the code (use embedded rather than shell to command prompt)
4-Add intercom system (talk to the visitor via android or os app)
5-Facial Recognition, (have it greet you as you approach the door)
6-User presets on HA (this depends on the facial recognition) so if I walk in the door the pc will switch on , my music palylist will start playing, etc.
7-Wrap it all up in a neat box, so it looks good on the wall.

These items are still pie in the sky , I am still not sure how possible it will be, I will keep you posted.

1 Like

Awesome, looking forward to hearning how you get on. This project might interest you too https://www.hackster.io/windows-iot/windows-iot-facial-recognition-door-e087ce

Some interesting devices available if you are feeling adventurous later down the line https://raymondtunning.wordpress.com/2016/09/13/more-about-the-a20-plus-pictures-of-the-final-product/

1 Like

Hi,

I still did not had installed HA and bough the described (here below) board but here is my quest :wink:

I did not read all the above comments but I also want what you talked about in those conditions (priority order) :

1. be able to catch on motion detection (just at front of the door but also at 6 meter to survey my car : if someone is walking around it with bad intentions)
  2. then it does not need a reaction when the doorbell button is pressed due to the catch got on motion detection
  3. OpenCV face recognition (with python) : relevant and non-relevant detected people
  4. in place of buying a RPi + Camera I though to use an already integrated board the Banana Pi D1
  5. latency problem

Solution found (corresponding to the above points) :

1. and 3)
    a) no need of sensor due to the fact the motion program do it itself - or OpenCV is also able to do it
    b) I just got the idea to also be able to use OpenCV to distinguish relevant from non relevant detections - I means distinguish known family people (then know when they are present at home) from friends, from people recurrently coming to my door (listen, knocking, …), from undesirable peoples and just one time visitors

2. to avoid latency problem I tough to use a local installation of a IFTTT like well know as Trigger Happy. But it still need to be tested by community.

Sincerely thanks for your feedbacks.

1 Like

Yes I am intrigued. although I must avoid the temptation of jumping ship, (This is why my shed is a mess, too many unfinished projects lol).

Look what just landed in my inbox, looks like just the thing!

And in action

3 Likes

That might be useful. Even if I dont mount it to the the window it would certainly make it easier to mount inside a box.

This makes me want to go out and buy a Zero now; I already have a Ring but this would be great for some extra camera coverage.

Hi, great work!
I don’t know if you’re aware about this project from some guys in Germany DoorPi.
It’s a standalone VoIP with video intercom station with RPI.
I have tested it for some time ago and it was very nice.
I hope it could give you some ideas or create something similar with all the missing parts like MQTT integration, VoIP integration etc.

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s great. I am forever scanning the internet for examples and snippets to help with this.
I never thought of using voip. I shall be looking into this.

I may have to alter the code slightly any way because I have set the gpio on interupts it is conflicting with the timed snapshots. It happens rarely but it kicks up an error and ends the script.

I wanted to avoid checking the gpio constantly to reduce power consumption and system resources, but I may have to just include the gpio checks in the main loop.

Unless anyone has a suggestion.

I just found mumble chat server which might prove a more lightweight soloution, for voice.

1 Like

Another treasure for this project, only 14 quid too… https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero-camera-module

1 Like

Found this old chestnut

1 Like

OK followed this https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-webcam-server/ to get my pi zero camera feed available via the pi IP.
Next will follow https://home-assistant.io/blog/2016/06/23/usb-webcams-and-home-assistant/ to setup with HA. Then will use MQTT for notification of motion using on_picture_save as described for email in https://utbrudd.bouvet.no/2017/01/05/building-a-motion-activated-security-camera-with-the-raspberry-pi-zero/

I got one it arrived today, only issue is , some of the electronics are on the flat cable and is not very flexible, doubtful if it will work with the zeroview, which is dissapointing.

I found this for inspiration, I think its great that he has actually got it all done and working. I will be looking at his project for more pointers. Along with a few other posts I have found which I shall share here when I get around to it.

I have seen this, I am tempted with motion but I am still trying to get opencv to install, which allows face detection and recognition. I thought about removing the PIR and just use opencv to detect motion, and trigger the notifications.I am struggling to install it, takes at least two hours , as it need to be compiled, Ive gone through the steps twice now and come up with different errors each time (Probably something I done wrong). Once I get a working version Ill get an image made to make things easier for the future.

I have played with motion, it works well detecting motion, I havent looked into adjusting the sensitivity yet , any movement triggers it even shadows moving.

Sounds like you have a nice plan packaged up, thanks for sharing , I hope it works out for you , let me know how you get on.It may help me with my options and decisions on which direction I am going to follow.

I may just use motion for the time being, then get another zero and keep trying to install opencv on that.