Door bell with pi camera and motion detection

You can trigger the Blink to take images on demand, but doesn’t sound ideal for baby monitor. I think there’s a blog post on baby monitor however

Hi @meganoodle how is this project tracking for you? I read that opencv has since been updated in HA. I havent yet explored it yet as like you, are currently tied up with other commitments, but looks like openCV will run on the HASS server, and points to a remote camera (RPI zero?).

Should be possible to do this project completely in HA on the pi zero

Hi Rob,
I was hoping that the processing can be done on the HA server, and only the PI zero is used for sending content. I havent yet got a test setup going yet but it is on the cards.
Will this plan work?

By ‘HA server’ are you referring to another RPi or something more powerful?

I suggest you save the pi camera images to the www folder on the pi zero, then trigger your server to pull to them. Let me know how you get on :slight_smile:

My HA users is a small mini PC dedicated for HA. I plan on playing around with the PZero for the camera, and have maybe the OpenCV install on HA to interact with the camera. Of course planning, well ive been planning for months LOL

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the interesting thread. I read most of it now :slight_smile: . I am planning on also building a raspberry pi doorbell.
I was reading about to two-way audio:

Maybe this would be an option?
https://www.linux-projects.org/uv4l/

This should in principle allow for in-browser calls to the raspi using webRTC. I have not tested it yet though. Did somebody use this already?

Found a good example of the design I want to achieve, with the camera behind the peephole. Will need to get the optics right for this approach. Luckily I have Zemax at work :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JUKY89O/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

The camera box is mounted on a metal o-ring. Full specs online

I am thinking of putting a pi camera with a speaker, mic and pushbutton in a box and mounting to the outside of the spyhole (remove the existing glass spy tube) , feeding a multicore cable from these through the hole and connecting to a PI on the inside of the door. That way I can feed power and CAT cable to the router direct.

The cable would traverse the door to the hinges and with a loop would allow the door to open / close without damaging/stressing the cable.

Thoughts…

In my case I want the front door to appear identical before and after installing the camera. The raspberry pi camera module is connected to its board using a standard connector. Therefore by putting the appropriate cable between the camera and board you could easily just have the tiny camera module on the outside, sitting within a purpose built mount. Re speakers these also could be on the inside, just crank up the volume

At the risk of adding more complexity to things, could this help with the audio side of things:

If I’m reading it correctly, one could connect a small low power speaker directly to it (something like https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/audio-dacampdigi/speakers-1049/speaker-3-diameter-8-ohm-1-watt or https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/speaker-pcb-mount) and have all the audio I/O you need. It even has a programmable button which presumably could be your bell button…

Edit: Actually, this speaker looks better for something outside:
https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/family-id/7903984/

1 Like

Thats a nice product. Not considered adding audio myself but definitely would be a nice to have.
Cheers

This is exactly the case design I’ve been looking for. I can pass power through the wall but I need everything else on the outside. Are you going to share the case design for printing? please please :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

Wouldnt this be an option:

Awakingdemi 3.5 inch LCD Peephole Viewer

Remove the screen use the cameramodule?

If you could interface with the camera. Can’t tell from the picture what the ribbon is

i’m in a similar situation, wanting to integrate this camera into an mqtt one:

1 Like

Hi @robmarkcole / @meganoodle

Just wondered if you guys are still tinkering with your doorbell projects and if you have made any break through’s since your last updates?

I’ve start looking at options to build my own smart doorbell, I’m quite keen on the Ring doorbells in terms of functionality, but don’t fancy the cloud hosting fee. There are other off the shelf products, almost identical but backup to an SD card: Akaso Doorbell

What I would prefer is to be able to backup to an internal NAS storage, so I quite fancy having a go at build my own. Plus I have a couple of Pi Zero’s and Redbear wifi hats lying around and though it could be a good project.

What I’m looking to achieve is:

• Button Press Doorbell (mqtt trigger sent to HASS)
  • Motion detection with ability to define a detection area (mqtt trigger sent to HASS)
  • Alert using push bullet with photo still (I already use this in HASS)
  • Face recognition (send still to HASS via MQTT)
  • 2 Way audio to android phone or browser
  • Stream video to phone or browser
  • Record video stream on NASS

I’ve ordered a night vision camera for my pi zero, but as far as everything else is concerned I haven’t really got any further, just researching possible options.

In terms of facial recognition, did you make any break through’s?

Did you try using HASs with OpenCV or other to manage the recognition processing?

TIA

Andy

Hi Andy @mcinnes01, you can see my development HA instance details here, and I’m working on image classification here. For facial recognition checkout the existing ‘identify’ components from dlib/microsoft. I am still waiting for the issue with pi cameras on HASSIO to be solved before I invest more time on the hardware side (I want a full HASSIO solution). However you sound interested enough to push the hardware side along some?
Cheers
Robin

Hi Andy
I havent made anymore progress with my project, our house is currently up for sale despite the desire to tinker some more I cant really make many more adjustments with the project so it is still pretty basic.

However, I have set up a raspberry pi zero in my porch window with motioneye , when it detects motion it triggers the porch motion sensor in my HASSIO which in turn notifies my phone via telegram with a picture.

I have also setup a nodemcu with a 433mzh reciever to detect my doorbell being pressed , which also triggers home assistant to send me a snapshot of the porch via telegram.

That is as much as I am able to do until we sell the house and move into a new canvas to play with.

If there is any aspect of my current setup you would like more information on please dont hesitate to ask.

2 Likes

Hi @meganoodle

I’ve also stumbled across motioneye in the last week and have it on a pi Zero, are you using motioneye directly or motioneyeos? I’ve currently got motioneyeos on the pi Zero, but it seems very unstable and requires a manual restart quite regularly.

Did you find any stability issues and are there any particular settings you managed to configure to improve it?

I managed to get motion events on the pi, and the video, the video didn’t seem to have particularly good frame rate despite various tweaks I tried.

I’m currently looking if I can run the pi zero as cam and have motioneyeos on a pi3 to take some load off the zero.

Thanks

Andy