Door sensor notification help

Or better use the door going closed as the trigger and the condition as the door being open for more than 5 minutes.

1 Like

Maybe I’ve misunderstood the suggestion but aren’t the two contradictory?

• Trigger: Door is closed.
  • Condition: Door open > 5 minutes.

The door’s current state is now closed.
The condition requires the door to be open for > 5 minutes.

How can the condition ever be true if the door’s current state is closed?

Thanks 123, makes a lot of sense to use a state variable. I’ll try this out later tonight and see how it goes.

I think it depends on when the conditions are checked.

If the conditions are checked before the trigger is processed it will work. If not then it won’t.

I was in a thread a while ago in which we mostly determined from the functioning of an automation that the conditions are evaluated before the trigger. So in that case it should work.

I always thought the triggers were evaluated and then the conditions until that thread showed that it’s not that straight forward.

Another good one to experiment with I think.

I’ll give this a try as well and post my results. Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

I’d really appreciate a link to that thread because the theory it proposes contradicts the basic operation of an automation.

The trigger is what Home Assistant monitors (creates ‘listeners’). When the listener detects an appropriate change, it executes the balance of the automation and proceeds to evaluate the conditions (if any). It’s the trigger that gets the ball rolling.

For the condition to be evaluated before the trigger, implies the automation was not activated by its trigger but by its condition. The implication is that Home Assistant has also created listeners for the condition. That’s unlikely. If you create an automation with a condition but no trigger, Home Assistant will force the automation to be off because it’s not a functional arrangement; it has no listener(s).

FWIW, I recall discussing this topic about ~3 weeks ago and I posted an example demonstrating the condition is evaluated after the automation is triggered. If you know of examples where the condition is evaluated before the trigger, I would very much like to see them.

Not sure what you guys were testing but triggers are what home assistant listens to and reacts from. conditions are evaluated after the trigger occurs. Otherwise passing the trigger object to conditions wouldn’t be possible. You get yourself into a what came first, chicken or the egg. Conditions use the trigger object, therefore the trigger had to occur prior to the condition. Also, I’ve looked at the code.

However, re-reading the thread, it didn’t evaluate the conditions first before the entire trigger. It seemed to evaluate the conditions before the “for:” part of the trigger. I remember doing some testing at the time and I think I got the same results as him.

but now looking at that then the above proposed code wouldn’t work. unless you put a “for:” in the trigger then it might still work.

to clarify, test to see if the door goes closed for a few seconds in the trigger and keep the condition as the door open for 5 minutes to see if the automation fires.

i’m not saying in any of this that it definitely works that way and as i said i was surprised to see that result too since it contradicted my understanding at the time. however, it seemed to have been tested and confirmed at least in that scenario.

OTOH, as shown in the recent thread about the two light scenario in which the OP was trying to get either light to follow the state of the other and it didn’t work as expected for both you and the OP and it worked exactly as it should for me that here are definitely some little unexplainable glitches in the system at times.

It’s the same contradiction.

• Trigger: Door is closed for X seconds.
  • Condition: Door is open for X minutes.

The condition can never be true. The event that led to the condition’s evaluation is the exact opposite state of what the condition requires.

I concur there may be glitches but that lighting issue had the earmarks of a timing problem (possibly related to propagation delays in the lighting protocols used). In this case, it’s a matter of the order of execution, namely trigger before condition and not the other way around (see Petro’s post).

Finally got around to trying this out. I’m getting an error stating “Error rendering data template: UndefinedError: ‘triggered’ is undefined”. I’m pretty sure it’s referring to the trigger on the door1_notifier automation but I can’t figure out the issue.

FYI, no difference if I manually toggle the boolean or let the door sensor toggle it.

- id: door1_open
  alias: 'Door 1 is open'
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.door1
    to: 'Open'
    for:
      minutes: 1
  condition: []
  action:
  - service: input_boolean.turn_on
    entity_id: input_boolean.door1_left_open

- id: door1_closed
  alias: 'Door 1 is closed'
  trigger:
    entity_id: sensor.door1
    to: 'Closed'
  condition:
    condition: state
    state: 'on'
  action:
  - service: input_boolean.turn_off

- id: door1_notifier
  alias: 'Door 1 Notifier'
  trigger:
  condition: []
  action:
  - service: notify.door_notify
    data_template:
      title: "{{ 'Door1 left open!' if triggered.to_state.state == 'on' else 'Door1 closed' }}"
        {% if triggered.to_state.state == 'on' %}
          Door1 has been open since {{states.zwave.ecolink_door_window_sensor.attributes.receivedTS}}.
        {% else %}
          Door1 was closed at {{states.zwave.ecolink_door_window_sensor.attributes.receivedTS}}.
        {% endif %}

That’s my fault. A little too fast on the keyboard …

In data_template, there are two instance of the word triggered. Replace them with trigger.

I’ve corrected the example in my original post (above).

Thank you! All is working normally now. You’d think the “undefined” would have given me a clue. :roll_eyes:

Hi Petro,

I think that if you use a trigger with a “for” to specify a time the condition is only evaluated at the start; and not re-evaluated at the end of the for wait time. So if the condition changes during the “for” it does not impact the trigger.

I have proved this with several automations; and the fix is to duplicate the condition at the start of the action section as this will get evaluated once the trigger is triggered.

I’ve not dug into the code to find this; but presume a “for” sets up a callback timer and the condition is checked then that occurs; and not when the timer expires.

Yes but the trigger still occurs before the condition is checked. Actions occur after the time is hit, the action is in the callback.

My experience is a bit different, please see this thread for an example:

Let me lay it out to you so you understand better:

non-for trigger flow:

trigger -> condition -> action

for trigger flow:

trigger -> condition -> wait for duration -> action

Your experience is exactly what I’m describing. Conditions are always after triggers. No matter what. You for some reason are lumping the for duration into the trigger, that’s not the case.

Thanks, that clarifies it for me.

I was assuming the “wait” was part of the trigger and not evaluated after the condition.

So this means as long as the condition is valid when the trigger is valid we pass to the wait; and if the condition changes during that wait it is irrelevant to the action being performed once wait is passed.

I do assume the trigger continues to be evaluated during the wait so that if it state changes so the wait duration is not met; then it exits and the entire cycle starts again.

Yes. But you can add a condition in the action section to have it check when the action fires.

Yep, but only the triggers state affects this, not the condition.

@jwelter
Can you amend your linked post? Either explain the original theory was incorrect (about conditions allegedly being evaluated before triggers) and/or include a link to Petro’s excellent explanation above.

The reason for my suggestion is because I’ve had this conversation in the past, with finity, and that linked post was supplied as evidence of ‘spooky behavior’. It didn’t take me long to refute it (I even included the results of experiments disproving the alleged behavior) but it would be best if others didn’t continue to use it to support this mistaken theory.

Yes, but the issue is this behavior is not documented anywhere in the docs.

They clearly state that a condition applies after the trigger. But what none of the documents states that if you use a “for” as part of a trigger it is not assumed to be part of the trigger.

I know many people who have spent much time struggling on this…