Doorbell chime

Hello, I‘m looking for a solution to make my doorbell chime smart. We don’t want a video doorbell. Best solution would be to have the option to switch off the chime as well and just get a notification on the phone if somebody rings. The solution should be based on wifi (Shelly) or Zigbee (Conbee2).

1 Like

What is your current doorbell?

Have you seen this?

1 Like

Not yet. I guess this could be my solution :slightly_smiling_face: Do you have the solution installed?

Something similar.

Depending on your current doorbell, this might be a solution if you use Zigbee. Its the solution I chose and works perfectly. Only thing I additionally added is a timer that if someone rings multiple times I only get one alert.

Also very nice. But I prefer the first solution with the possibility to switch off the chime, because we have a baby boy at home :wink:

I already had an ESP next to my door (rfid reader for alarm disarming) so I added an RGB pushbutton (ONPOW 16mm high head RGB tri color pushbutton switch GQ16H 10E/J/42RGB/12V/S|switch switch|switch pushbuttonswitch 16mm - AliExpress) and then I put an ESP inside each of two of these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165177538260?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item26755936d4:g:yzsAAOSw-INa49GE. One for upstairs one for down. Even though it says 12V, the the circuit inside runs off 3.3V after a voltage regulator. So 5V plugpack → ESP board then 3.3V from the ESP board → Doorbell. The ESP board fits nicely inside the case and the ESP GPIO output can connect directly to the chime trigger, no optocoupler, open collector BJT or relay required.

The RGB LED in the button is great for displaying the alarm state (red = arming, blue = armed, green = disarmed, purple = doorbell pressed).

As I have to automate the button press from the door ESP to the remote ESP chimes it is trivial to add an input_boolean “Do Not Disturb” state condition.

Got my final solution :slight_smile: Thank you anyway guys. A lot of good ideas!

2 Likes

Just thought I would add the route I went down. Easy conversion of a Xiaomi contact sensor by soldering wires in replacement of the reed switch. Works a treat!

1 Like

Unfortunately this link doesn’t work at the moment. Guess Frank broke his config.

Error 1033 Argo Tunnel error
You've requested a page on a website (frenck.dev) that is on the Cloudflare network.
The host (frenck.dev) is configured as an Argo Tunnel, and Cloudflare is currently 
unable to resolve it. 

Since I have some memory on what he wrote, I am curious if i could use the Pi4 GPIOs to direct connect the doorbell (button) in a way that the traditional chime still does its job and I can have HA get triggered using https://github.com/thecode/ha-rpi_gpio?

Bel-setup.drawio

And if so, what pins should I use?

He’s on holiday at the moment, it will probably be fixed when he gets back.

Do not connect your doorbell directly to your pi. The doorbell voltages are likely to be far more than the pi can handle (0 to 3.3V).

Check, thx.

I used a Sonoff Relay (RE5V1C). I installed it right in the doorbell enclosure.

Solder two wires to the 5V button control and run to the button.

Connect the dry relay contact inline with the 24VAC transformer and doorbell.

Set inching to 0.5 seconds to prevent people that hit the doorbell 5 times in a row.

I added the device to Homebridge too, and now I also get a doorbell notification on my devices and Apple TV.

Simply use an optocoupler in parallel with your chime. Connect the output of the optocoupler to your raspberry pi / esp / whatever and detect every doorbell press :slight_smile: As soon as optocoupler output goes high you know doorbell is pressed.

I made the following configuration for a (more complicated) intercom system, but you can use it as an example. The circuit circled in red is what you can do:

I unfortunately am a noob on electronics and always (try to) use out of the box stuff, but since there is nothing out of the box that suits me, I am willing to give it a go. It’s however not completely clear what you mean with the 5v button control.

Nice, elegant solution!

Do you remember which contacts you soldered those wires to?

It’s very obvious, you can see the small glass reed switch which easily snaps off. The two contacts are the one at either side