Downgrading HassOS 4.8

Probably this command, if it takes a version number:

ha host update

I notice there is a 4.9 in the releases now (no mention of a resource issue fix though):

Well spotted…I’ve got time to spare as far as the resources consuming the whole SD card…It’s the CPU temperature I’m worried about…fritzing itself…

the issue is already there since 4.6, which made me have to completely rebuild my HA instance…

Have a working instance on4.8 though, so it is not very clear what exactly is going on…

checking the releases, you maybe wait for 4.9 which has been released 8 hours ago: https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/tag/4.9

No relevant fixes in 4.9 that I could see in the release notes.

Just out of interest have you tried restarting the host (not just homeassistant).

It is not a bug, it is a feature. Logs will now uses a maximum of 4Gb on disks

Thank you to whoever…for releasing the upgrading “the downgrading” back to HassOS 3.18…Obviously too many problems with HassOS 4.8

Temperature now back to normal parameters thank goodness…Now the only remaining issue is somewhere there are some redundant files as my SD card has gone from 20% to 30% full…It always was around 20% so I have to assume there are these orphan log files somewhere…any idea where…I’ve looked in the MNT folder but nothing there…Is it in an area not normally accessible from terminal?

Can you post a link to the downgrading information please?
I’d like to downgrade HassOS, not HassIO itself.

Mine came up as an upgrade notification automatically. Maybe do a refresh of your supervisor tab.

Nope, nothing.
I’ve created a full snapshot, downloaded it and now I try to fully backup the SD card with dd and after this, I will use balena etcher to re-install 3.13 on the SDCard, restoring from backup and hopefully I can restore it this way.
Wondering, if there will be some kind of rollback mechanism in the future as this is very annoying.
I am trying to verify that I have serial-connection issues related with a HassOS upgrade.

More details here.

There’s another thread to roll back to 3.13 through the built in terminal…it looks pretty easy. You don’t have to do what you are doing.

Type the following through the terminal or SSH

ha os update --version 3.13

2 Likes

I’ve read that the upgrade process installs the new version alongside the old, then switches over. Possibly the back-out procedure failed, leaving some of the “new” 4.x stuff orphaned. It may not be directly accessible from within the running OS. Anyone know where it might be?

1 Like

HA now asks me to “update” from 4.8 to 3.13, what is the difference between 3.x and 4.x versions? Is 4.x version from beta channel?

HassOS has been rolled back to 3.13 for rpi2 and 3 due to issues. If everything’s fine for you stay on 4.8 and wait for 4.10 which will be released in some days

1 Like

Thank you @makai for the optimistic news.

I don’t remember upgrading to a beta release. If I clicked such a button then maybe the UI wasn’t bold enough to warn me that it is a BETA release.

Will 4.10 be a BETA release too? If so then won’t the upgrade button on the frontend still suggest upgrading to 3.13?

Just double-checking, is 4.10 expected to fix the overheating issue on pi3?

HassOS 4.8 and 4.9 were not betas but stable releases after a long period of betas (4.0 to 4.7). Due to lot of issues (see all posts on this forum about 4.8) 4.8 and 4.9 are not available anymore as stable releases and HassOS latest stable release has been reverted to 3.13 for rpi2 and rpi3. That’s why people sees a popup for a (new) 3.13 release: if you have issue you can downgrade. If not stay on 4.8 or 4.9.

In 4.10, kernel will be back to 4.19 from 5.4 for all raspberry pi. 5.4 seems not issue free. Your issue might be fix then.

1 Like

And for RPi4? I will be safe upgrading to 4.9 as asked in the supervisor? Or also me must wait 4.10?

It may work for you or it may cause problems, so if you’re not waiting for anything specific in 4.8/9, I recommend waiting for the next release.

For what it’s worth, I’ve run 4.8 and 4.9 without any problems in an x86 vm.

Can somebody tell me which is the latest stable release of the hassos for rpi4 before the 5.8?
I am having problems with the 5.8 and cannot remember which was the latest i was running…

All 5.x versions until 5.8 were “prerelease”. 5.8 is a “production” version.

You could have used the 4.x versions on a RPI4 unless you had 8GB or wanted to boot from SSD, so I don’t know what you were using before.

Hi,

my HA has been constantly freezing (not accessible) since version 4.9. There was some memory issue, which was the cause for some but apparently not for me. So I was running 4.8 and have been trying to update, when there was a new version (to 5.0, then 5.10, then to 5.11 then to 5.12) and there is still no solution. I am running RPi 4.

Is there anybody with the same issue?