DragonTech WD-100 dimmer

These are pretty interesting.

Just to get it out of the way: The HomeSeer HS-WD100+ is just a rebadge of the DragonTech WD-100. They’re the same unit, right down to the tap gestures, just in a different box.

Speaking of tap gestures… they’re sent using the central scene command class, something fairly standard but (mostly) not implemented yet by OZW. There’s an outstanding pullreq: https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave/pull/993

The dimmers are still useful without it though. They report normally when they’re turned on/off, but like many dimmers, when asked their current brightness, they’ll tell you what they’re at right now and not the dim level they’re transitioning to. The usual workaround works:

zwave:
  <etc>
  customize:
    light.dragon_tech_in_wall_dimmer_level_26_0:
      refresh_value: true
      delay: 3

Now then. When holding down on the paddle to turn brightness up/down, it will report the changing brightness… via the central scene command class. Oh well. I discovered a workaround: when pressing up once while the dimmer is already on, the dimmer reports a state change through the normal process. So, set the dimmer to the level you want, then tap up once and Hass will get the message.

It’s not perfect, but I’ve finally found a solution where I can control all the lights in my very awkwardly receptacled living room at one switch. In the future when central scene is implemented, I’ll be connecting my bright room / dark room scenes to those gestures.

I’m buying more of these dimmers…

Add’l info: