DuckDNS - It's not just me - it's you!

Hiding your internal HA instance address is funny, like it’s some major security measure.

So have you been to duckdns. logged in and checked what it has as your address matches what the modem end of your router thinks it is ?

The fact that it is already registered is what happened when you set this up

Have you tried turning your phone WiFi off and accessing redactedsubdomain.duckdns.org from your phone (ie over your phones telecom provider) ?

I always testing on phone without wifi and get same message: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
My router page does not display WAN address. I have dynamic ip.

I have dynamic ip too, though it’s not actually changed since I started with the current ISP
I can see my external IP address regardless
So how do you know that your duckdns subdomain is actually pointing at your router ?

Hiding your internal HA instance address is funny, like it’s some major security measure.

I knew that someone would notice :slight_smile:

So have you been to duckdns. logged in and checked what it has as your address matches what the modem end of your router thinks it is ?

the result of this matches what I see in the duckdns webpage and in the logs.

The fact that it is already registered is what happened when you set this up

so I gather is normal, ok.

Have you tried turning your phone WiFi off and accessing redactedsubdomain.duckdns.org from your phone (ie over your phones telecom provider) ?

YES! :frowning: https://subdomain.duckdns.org

Well, not sure what to tell you, I spent about 6 days figuring this out and the result worked for me.
A lot of people have been here since and they say it works for them too.
If you followed the instructions as laid out above the only difference should be the hardware of your modem/router.
So either you have missed a setting that I’m unaware of or it just doesn’t allow it.

You may wish to try nabu casa which has a free 30day trial period and ongoing funds help towards developing HA so it’s a double win :smiley:

:neutral_face:

I know that your settings work, it has to be something with my router… Well I have been trying to get this work for two days so I have four more :slight_smile: Will keep trying and in case a solution is found, will post it here for the future generations.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Ok, I don’t have a public ip address. That is whole problem.

From your Lan, you must be able to connect to the internet ?
You request say youtube.com in a browser
Your browser goes to a dns server, which looks up the address and feeds it back to your browser which then queries it and displays the web page.
Therefore you MUST have a public ip address

How else do you expect any of this to work ?

Hi Karol,

what happens when you click this link?

LINK

You should see your public ip address now…

Still no luck. Does someone has this working with HA on a virtualbox?

Carlos,
This thread is about helping people with a generic install.
You have a virtual box.
I think you would be best served by starting a new topic specific to this issue with enough information in the title to define it’s nature and attract people who can best advise you.
Good Luck

Ok, will do that.

Pretty sure I tried 50 different ways (well maybe some of them more than once) and never got Home Assistant to even restart. This worked and I am SO happy. I didn’t want to use NabuCasa since they assured me push notifications would be easy and I have yet to get those working. This post gave me hope that maybe I can resolve that too and at least I don’t have to shell out 5 bucks a month for nothing.

Thanks for the instructions Mutt! I had almost given up trying to get this to work until I found them.

The only thing I found I had to do differently (after a lot of failed attempts) is to change the nginx port to something other than 443. My ISP must have been blocking this I’m guessing.

Hope this might help someone else with the same problem.

1 Like

Glad you got it sorted :+1:
The bit about port 443, how did you find that ? (kudos)
Who is your ISP ?
Where are you based ?
(this information will more directly help others in your situation)
What port did you end up using ?
Did you like the post (raises its ranking in searches) ?

Edit: This ‘may’ explain some of the failures of individuals above :thinking:

Cool, it’s liked :slightly_smiling_face:

I was struggling to get it to work for a few hours, was just getting a ‘this site cannot be reached error’ when trying to navigate to it from my browser. So just started changing settings one at a time till something worked!

I also had to change the port forwarding in my router to match the port I chose for Nginx, I just chose a random number in the high 8000s. 8833 or something like that. Also I have to use that port for the address in mobile app external url and when navigating to it eg.

https://yourdomain.duckdns.org:8833

I’m no expert in HA or networking just lots of trial and error!

I’m based in NZ and my ISP is Slingshot.

1 Like

Brilliant, it just goes to show that perseverance counts.
I’ll add a note to the solution post so that if people fail they can either ask their ISP or try an alternate port.
I’ll also start a table of ISP’s and locations where this issue has been reported.
This has been an eye opener, many thanks.

This doesnt work :frowning: unable to access outside the network with duckdns link

Hmmm !
It works for many people here, including me.
Your provision of diagnostic information is extensive, it will take me a considerable time to wade through it all to determine which issue you are facing and how you can overcome this, be patient, we’ll get there.

Sorry seems it is working my duckdns link works outside my network but from inside my network it’s not working.

My duckdns link inside my network links to my routers webpage not home assistant.

IP:8123 is working but I need the duckdns link to work inside my network for some stuff with notifications images.