Duke Energy Gateway - Realtime Smart Meter Readings

My gateway went offline a few hours ago, am I the only one?

I’ve power cycled the gateway a couple times. The Duke app shows the gateway is paired with the meter but offline. The app asks me to re-pair, which I’ve tried but it never finishes.

Maybe they are doing more server maintenance? Or maybe I got banned? Lol

My gateway has gone offline as well. Tried removing and readding my account and the HACS integration completely.

Following error was in the logs

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 304, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)  # type: ignore
  File "/config/custom_components/duke_energy_gateway/__init__.py", line 54, in async_setup_entry
    selected_meter, selected_gateway = await client.select_default_meter()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyduke_energy/client.py", line 175, in select_default_meter
    raise DukeEnergyError(
pyduke_energy.errors.DukeEnergyError: Failed to identify any smart meter with gateway access on your account

Are you getting realtime readings from the Duke Energy app?

Yes I am but I do notice that the whole login process is much slower than usual. Wonder if there’s some sort of time out issue given their still in the midst of their system upgrades?

Thank you for this great integration. I received my gateway last week and have had it up and running with Home Assistant almost immediately. Is anyone else using this sensor with the Home Assistant Energy tab? The energy graph seems to be ‘close’ to what I see in the Duke App in regards to usage. However I’m having an issue dialing in the rate. Right now I have an average Kwh rate of 0.875 USD, yet it shows that I’m using up to $25 in usage per day…and considering my average bill this time of year is around $100, I know that’s not correct. What am I doing wrong?

Duke made a change to their API late last week that caused the kWh sensor to be scaled significantly higher than it should have been. Depending on when you installed the integration, perhaps you might have missed the patch update. I’d first check that there aren’t any updates available in HACS. v0.0.11 is the current stable release.

Thanks for quick reply! I just checked and I’m currently running v0.1.b9, should I roll back to v0.0.11?

Ah, I didn’t realize you were on the beta versions. You should be fine on v0.1.0b9.

I’ll take a step back. You said you were averaging a kWh rate of 0.875 USD but it shows $25. Those units don’t add up…you aren’t confusing kWh and $ are you? 25 kWh is very reasonable for a day of usage. My current electric rate is $0.10772 USD/kWh, so 25 kWh would be $2.63 which wouldn’t be far off the mark to get to a $100 bill.

Here’s my energy dashboard for today for reference

Yep, that would make more sense. I must have something setup wrong? Here’s what I’m seeing on this end:

I’d guess your rate is just too high. Where did you pull it from? I got mine from this page Rate Information - Duke Energy

I got mine from my billing statement. Can you show me how you input your rate? I’m curious if I have a decimal point in the wrong place?!

I use a template sensor because my rates change depending on time of year. I pasted that in this comment Duke Energy Gateway - Realtime Smart Meter Readings - #15 by mjmeli

1 Like

I just applied for one on Duke’s website. How long did it take to get a response on if you are approved?

Are you sure that is your rate? Almost $1/kWh seems just a bit high. I would guess it is actually 0.0875 per kWh, mine is around 0.11

1 Like

Is anyone having any issues with this integration? Mine stopped updating a day or two ago. I’m not sure if it’s an integration issue or a Duke Energy issue. I’ve restarted HA, unloaded/loaded the integration, rebooted the Duke gateway and have had no success?!

Some people on GitHub have had trouble. Apparently their gateway’s connection to the app stopped working. Since the integration uses the same API, the integration also stopped. One user says they got it working again by repairing their gateway. https://github.com/mjmeli/ha-duke-energy-gateway/issues/71

1 Like

@mjmeli Hey!! Thanks for making this!! I’m brand new to HA. When you say it “produces a lot of data”, does that mean persistent data, or just network traffic?

HA adds a database record for every state change as part of the recorder integration. With the real-time stream, you get a new record every second or so, so there will be a lot of state changes getting recorded. It could definitely inflate your DB size. This can manifest in slowness for anything that queries history. By default, records are purged after 10 days but that’s a lot of records over 10 days.

1 Like

Folks are likely to start showing up here and complain that the link to the pilot program is broken. Duke Energy took the page down. That link used to work, but from what I can tell they scrubbed all references to the gateway program from their web site. If you have one, you’re lucky. If it continues to work, you’re lucky. We’ll probably have to move to clamp sensors or the like at some point. Or for those who don’t have a Gateway already, that’s probably the best you’re going to get. That said, sometimes Duke Energy takes their API down for extended periods, breaking the mobile app, breaking the gateway. So I don’t know that this device is going to be the best strategy for keeping tabs on our meters long-term.

Mine pretty much quit working a couple weeks ago here in South Carolina. I’ve attempted to repair my Gateway numerous times but it rarely works. Seemed to coincide with a message I received on the app that they were doing some ‘billing maintenance’ and the system would be down for a week or so. Nevertheless, I moved to an Emporia Vue clamp system and have been very happy with the results. Let’s me drill down to specific appliances and rooms to really see where my energy hogs are at…