Dumb doorbell integration (HA/Zwave)

Hi All,

I’m fairly new to all this and I’m currently in the “proof of concept” stage of my little Home Assistant project. We, the wife and myself, have concluded that “Stage 1” of this PoC has been concluded successful, with the integration of the existing entities into the system and the demonstration of various mainly alarm related basic functionalities that we desire.

Which means we move on to Stage 2 (of probably 3 or 4) and expand our environment. Amongst other tasks one of the desired functionalities is to utilize the doorbell as a trigger for automation events.
Our doorbell is a simple button that is hardwired into the bell in the doorway. This is intended to remain this way.

Is there a way to capture (relatively quickly) the trigger event of the door bell and forward it to the system (to be used to swtich on the porch light and for the CCTV cam to take a picture)?
I’ve seen some mods done with Fibaro door switches and relais, is there something “simpler”?

Not sure if this belongs here or into another Category, my apologies if i got it wrong.

Thanks!

Hi Vince,

take a look at this thread among others, which collects quite a few ideas.

1 Like

So ok.

If I were to go down the Fibaro FGBS-001 Universal Binary Sensor route of things, I’d need what?

A relay to hook the sensor to? I’ve had a look at the wiring diagram, but it only specifies 9-30V input voltage for the sensor, but if i’m not mistaken the bell works off 240V in my house. Sorry i’m more IT than electrics, so my understanding of things here is basic.

There is a transformer (somewhere) in your home that steps the voltage down from 240 to the voltage required by your doorbell.

1 Like

I followed this guide to make mine and it works well.

https://www.alittletothewright.com/index.php/2017/05/doorbell-smartener/

1 Like

You guys are brilliant. This is exactly the help I was hoping for. :smiley: