Dynamic Notification Target Device

Does anyone know how to go about dynamically specifying the target of a notification at run time? Specifically, I’d like to send notifications to my computer via HTML5 when I’m using it, and to my phone otherwise (currently I come home to all missed notifications suddenly appearing on my computer, despite having seen them on my phone). I have a sensor indicating that I’m at my computer, but the notify target: doesn’t fall within data:, so it appears that using data_template: won’t work.

Have you tried moving it?

My understanding is that all the parts of a service fall under the data bit, but you can bring certain ones out for ease/tidiness.

Actually the issue is that a separate service is registered for each notification device. Target is then platform specific and depends on the service (e.g. the target browser if multiple html5 endpoints are registered). I gave it a shot those using the notify.notify service (is this a global service that everyone has or is it a naming issue in my config?):

- alias: Test Dynamic Target Notification
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: sensor.front_door_alarm_type
      to: '161'
  action:
    service: notify.notify
    data_template:
      target: >
        {% if is_state("binary_sensor.desktop_activity", "on") %}
          notify.chrome
        {% elif is_state("binary_sensor.desktop_activity", "off") %}
          notify.iphone
        {% else %} 
          notify.my_devices #this is a notification group that includes both of the above
        {% endif %}

Neither device gets a notification when tested under both states of binary_sensor.desktop_activity. The logs show the following:

ERROR (Thread-4) [homeassistant.components.notify.ios] The target (['notify.chrome']) does not exist in .ios.conf.
ERROR (Thread-9) [homeassistant.components.notify.ios] The target (['notify.iphone']) does not exist in .ios.conf.

So perhaps notify.notify is an iOS specific service?

Another approach would be to use a conditional statement in a script. But my understanding is that conditionals can only stop a sequence of actions prematurely…what is the cleanest way to implement a MECE conditional action sequence (without having to create multiple “helper” scripts that call one another)?

I think you may have misunderstood the construct of the notify service, which probably wasn’t helped because I thought you were trying to notify to different devices via the html5 platform.

Your case would be…

action:
  service_template: >
    {% if is_state("binary_sensor.desktop_activity", "on") %} notify.chrome
    {% elif is_state("binary_sensor.desktop_activity", "off") %} notify.iphone
    {% else %} notify.my_devices {% endif %}
  data:
2 Likes

Ahh yes, completely forgot about service templates. Thank you - knew there was a simple approach somewhere.

read here RFLink on Robotdyn ATMEGA 2560 with embedded ESP8266 and ESPEasy