Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Hey all , i now have the notify part working , as i added the notify component to my config.yaml thx alandtse for that, now i am stuck with starting my routines…
Should i also add stuff to my config?
This is my main goal , as i have alexa supported light switches that i can add in an alexa routine , and like this i can start them true home assistant .
So can anybody help me with that?
I now have a routine script like :

dining_light:
  sequence:
    - service: media_player.play_media
      data:
        target: media_player.ginosechodot
        data:
        type: routine

and one like :

alexa_test_routine:
  sequence:
    - service: media_player.play_media
      data:
        entity_id: media_player.ginosechodot
        content_id: "test"
        content_type: "routine"

but none of the two is working…
any ideas… should i set the routine up in my config ?
Anyone can add an example of how they have theyre config set up?
thx

Should i enable something to make the routines work also?

Welcome to the hoard!
By the way; Fortran was better than Cobol :slight_smile:

I have tried the same thing, and it worked some of the time. But because of outside noises in the room it wasn’t and couldn’t be enough to call it a Automation. Let me know you progress with your :bulb: idea!

off topic, but my favorite was APL …a whole program in one line of code.

On-topic: once I found the wiki, setup was easy. The problem is that one reads post one on this thread and it is incomplete/wrong…it would be helpful if someone would update it to just point to the wiki.

unfortunately that isn’t possible. the forum limits changes to posts after a period of time. kind of silly and confusing if you ask me but that’s the way it is.

Do you have the Alexa routines working?

I can do TTS as long as I’m playing music on the echo. I’d really like to just do tts without having to play music first. Is that possible?

While I’m trying to finalize alexa/echo code, I’m trying to get Owntracks working to be able to find when I’m getting near home to turn on the outdoor lights.

No one (other than you) has to play music first to do tts.

Anyone have any luck with using the Multi Room group to play music? From what I see from searching that should work (but NOT TTS) but it doesn’t for me.

I created an “Everywhere” group in the Alexa app which contains 3 dots. I can use Alexa voice commands to play to that group. And I can send a play_media from home assistant to a single media_player and it will play. I also have a media_player.everywhere in home assistant but when I send the same command that works for a single nothing happens…no music and no error.

I’m using version 1.2.3

Take me off the list of one…it’s now working.

No.

It doesn’t look supported last I checked in the Alexa app. You can do a hack for now.

Test it in the dev-services tab first before putting in the config. https://whatever your HA is/dev-service. It’s easier to test and you don’t have to restart HA. Also make sure you review the wiki for the appropriate fields. target is not valid for routines. Please also confirm you’ve created a routine in the Alexa App.

Status Update

Hello all! I just wanted to give a status update from me as it pertains to this project.

First, I want to thank @alandtse for his remarkable work on getting things debugged, tested, and rock solid. Having spent a little time working on WebSockets things are extremely stable as I see it on my personal home assistant installation and none of this would’ve been possible without his help. I encourage everyone to take a moment to thank him.

Again, thank you so much @alandtse!!!

Major Focus

I believe that it is long overdue that we get this componet into the mainstream home-assistant code and therefore I want to make it the primary focus. Biggest things that need to happen are integration with “integrations wizard”. Anyone who has experience with this platform please chime in, as the documentation isn’t all that clear.

Community

This thread has become one of the most popular of all time on the home-assistant forum and it makes me very happy to see how everyone is coming together to help make this component better and help fellow automators. Please continue to post bugs, help others and make this component the best it can be.

Thank you everyone and I am looking forward to what’s next. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I have multiple routines in alexa , but i am not enable to start them in home Assistant. I am trying them with the dev service in ha and with creating a script , no succes… For my tts the problem was that i didnt have the notify component in my config , thats why i asked if i should ad something for routines also… It just seems for now that the media_player.play_media doesnt respond , at least not with routines… Will try to start music with this component to be shure it works… Sorry for all the questions but its important for me to get these routines to work… Should i first follow the whole sequence search from the wiki to be enable to get home assistant to see my routines in alexa?

@alandtse and @keatontaylor
We are so proud of you that,
You really made this working fluently.

Again thanks to all of the forum members who really invoke themselves for this.
Thanks to all

Generate debugging on alexapy so you can see the routine call.

And how do i di that? Sorry. Realy new at this coding stuff… Btw play_media works as i could use it to play bbc from tunein

You have to add
alexapy: debug

in logger: section in configuration.yaml

1 Like

thx will do that

you mean in the section logbook right?
i added it there and i checked my configuration and it says
Component not found: alexapy