Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

I guess our issues are different because I did the authentication/login long time ago and then the component stopped working without asking me to login again. However as Alandtse said I canceled the pickle file (something like [email protected]) that was stored in .storage folder and everything started to work again

my first question was what version from HA should work with the latest version from the media_player.
but i guess the answer to that is: only latest version from HA.

thx for your kind help.

I have been trying to set this up for a couple days now and I’m not sure what I am doing wrong. Home Assistant, HACS, everything updated to the latest versions. When I go to integrations and find Alexa Media Player, go thru the configuration and click submit, another small window with a submit button is popping up behind the Action Required Box. I kept clicking as fast as I could and caught it recording slow motion on my phone.

This box is popping up behind
Alexa Media Setup 2

this box.
Alexa Media Setup

Any ideas?

Enable 2FA or if you want to help us solve it permanently provide logs to the open issue.

As a note to everyone reading this, since this issue has been open since June and almost everyone just does the 2FA workaround instead of providing logs or trying to debug it, I’m about to just say 2FA is mandatory for the component. If you haven’t run into this issue yet, you should enable 2FA so you can avoid this problem moving forward.

EDIT: 2FA is now mandatory and the installation instructions have been updated. I will not debug login issues anymore if you don’t use 2FA. If someone figures it out, I’ll accept a PR request though and we may undo the 2FA requirement.

1 Like

I can’t get past the 2FA part. After accepting the unusual sign-in attempt on my phone I click submit back in the Integrations page and it just flashes. I’ve clicked it several times with the same result. I had trouble with this all week so I deleted the integration in HA and HACS thinking I could start over but essentially doing the same thing.

Enable 2FA with your account. It is now mandatory to use the component.

Also you may have to reset the OTP suppression for devices. I just ran into that and Amazon’s error message is not helpful.

Sorry. Thought I had that enabled. Works great now. Thank you.

thanks! How or where do you reset the OTP suppression for devices? I am not seeing that anywhere in the basic Amazon account management page related to OTP/ two step verification

Just did the upgrade to 2.10.5. I ran into a import wrapt error. Fixed it by manually installing: pip3 install wrapt. Otherwise a quick check and things seem to work.

As an FYI, as it is recommended to use an Auth App for 2FA, I tried out the Authy iOS App to do the 2-step verification process with my Amazon account.

After things seem to be working, I next decided to move over from yaml config to UI-Integration and after entering my login credentials along with the Authy OTP, and another quick check, things seem to work.

Thanks.

Oops. That slipped by and I think it’s probably what is being reported here. 2.10.6 has it declared properly.

It was in the linked issue but here. You may be able to avoid it if you always add the 2FA code to your password. 2.10.5 and above automatically do it for you if you provide it.

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get it working but it doesn’t work on my ecobee. Basically created a group of them all and am outputting:

barb_medication_announcement:
  alias: Announce Barb to take medication
  sequence:
  - data:
      data:
        method: speak
        type: announce
      target: group.echos
    service: notify.alexa_media

Is it possible that “speak” doesn’t work with the ecobee Alexa device? If not what what would be a better way get it to output the message?

Yes. Again the way to check is to see what the Amazon app allows since that’s the functionality we can mimic. If nothing in the App seems useful, you could try the Ecobee notification but it’s not spoken.

OK…

I just updated to the latest AMP and I got a prompt to re-authenticate.

When I went to the “integrations” page I was greeted with a wall of “Alexa Media Player” discovery windows.

I clicked “configure” and the window asked me to enter the captcha info. it also said to enter the “2FA code (recommended to prevent login issues)” or something like that.

So I did what I always did and ignored the 2FA part (it did say that it was only “recommended” not mandatory - and that was before I came here and found it was actually indeed mandatory) and I got the usual “something went wrong” error that I always get the first time. So I entered it again. Same thing.

So I thought it was actually asking for authentication for every single discovery window that was on the screen. So i kept doing the same thing (ignoring the 2FA and entering the captcha).

So after a few times of doing that I figured I’d come to see if others were having the same issues. Lo and behold I find 2FA is “mandatory”.

So I go to set up 2FA on my Amazon account and that all works and they send me a “one time password”.

I then try that OTP in the authentication window and it still never works. But now suddenly (but not surprisingly since I tried to enter the info I thought I needed a bazillion times) I got a window that said “the Amazon forgotten password window has been detected. Amazon may need additional actions to continue”.

Now all of my media players are gone. I don’t get the captcha window to authenticate and I don’t see anywhere on the Amazon site to do any “additional actions” to fix the “lost password window”.

So that brings up two questions:

1. What info is it asking for when it’s prompting me to enter the 2FA code? Obviously the last one they gave me didn’t work so how do I get a new one for the integration while you are entering the captcha info.

2. How do I recover the integration in my HA again and have it prompt me to re-enter the authorization information? Do I need to re-install it or am I missing something else?

EDIT:

I just installed a backup authenticator app (recommended by Amazon) and restarted HA.

The configuration prompt came back and now when I add the captcha info and the code provided by the authenticator app I get “There was a problem. Enter a valid email or mobile number”.

But there’s no place to enter that info in the pop up window that I can see. But my valid login email is showing at the top of the authentication window.

I’m completely stuck here.

EDIT 2:

It looks like I’m OK now.

Just to recap…

The wording in the authentication window needs up dated from “recommended” to “required”.

There should either be instructions on how to get the 2FA code prior to asking for the captcha info entered (I still have no idea how to request a 2FA code from Amazon to enter into the window) or you should just tell people to use an authenticator app. The authenticator app was way more easy than trying to figure out the other way.

It looks like the only way to recover your devices if you get “locked out” is to remove and re-add the integration from scratch.

Not sure I get the response but I got it working with tts.

Thanks.

JR

An OTP app token I setup a long time ago via the AWS portal (Not AMAZON.COM) and linked to the AWS root account was being surfaced through the AMAZON.COM account management page. This was causing me confusion because the OTP partially worked in some cases when prompted in AMAZON.COM but not others like completing 2SV or for Alexa Media Player authentication.

I deleted the AWS root OTP app token being surfaced within the amazon.com account management page. I should have probably just created a second app token and linked it to my auth app but didn’t try that. With no app tokens showing in the AMAZON.COM account management page I created a new OTP app token using AMAZON.COM and not AWS. That new app token finally allowed me to complete the 2SV setup on the AMAZON.COM account management page. This also gave me a working app token that I was able to use to complete the re-auth of Alexa Media Player. Back in business!!

(NOTE - THE ROOT OTP APP TOKEN REMAINED LINKED ON THE AWS SIDE - DON’T DELETE THIS TOKEN FROM YOUR AUTH APP OR YOUR ROOT ACCOUNT MIGHT GET LOCKED OUT OF AWS)

I tried to enter my password and completed the captcha in the browser on my computer nothing happened.

The solution: I used the HA android app, entered my password and completed the password, I then received a text with the 2FA and Home Assistant provided a window to enter the 2FA and everything is working well now for me.

I can confirm this also worked for me.
steps
First go to you amazon account and set up two factor authentication via : your account\login & security\Two-Step Verification (2SV) Settings - and follow the prompts to set it up. I am in usa so cant speak to anything other than usa accounts. I am also on android so cant speak to i-phone procedures.
Once 2fa is set up on amazon

The following steps assume that you have the ha app setup and working on your android phone or tablet. If so proceed if not set up the ha app in android- This works only if you have the app!!

1:Open HA App on android phone (not sure about i-phone as i am android user)
2:Reboot Home Assistant by opening the sidebar menu then click “supervisor” then click “system” at top of page , then at the bottom of the “host system” box click “reboot”
3:Wait for system to completely reboot ie… wait for at least 5 minutes (longer if not running in a nook and or virtual machine)
4:Click whatever you click to bring up your HA notifications (for me it is at the bottom left corner of the ha main screen,yours will be different depending on custom settings)
5:Click the link in the notification to verify alexa media player in Integrations (and of course you can skip all of the above and just go to Integrations and click on the new alexa media player integration to verify)
6:Hopefully when you click the verification link you will see a window with a captcha asking for password and 2fa and captcha
7:Go back to amazon and change your password. In my case i changed it to the same password that i had before. You do what you want but THIS STEP MUST BE DONE! . I tried without it and it wouldn’t work! Don’t know why but it worked for me only after i changed my password on amazon(even though i didn’t actually change it.
8:After changing your password on amazon go back to the captcha page in homeAssistant and enter your new password in the password field(if you didn’t change it still delete what is on the line and enter it again THIS IS IMPORTANT dont know why.lol)
9:LEAVE THE 2FA LINE BLANK!!!
10:Enter the answer to the captcha and click submit with only the password and captcha fields entered.
11:Another window will open asking for the 2fa answer , at the same time (or shortly after depending on your connection speed)you should get a text from amazon with your new one “time password” or “otp” .
12:Enter the new OTP in the 2fa field and hit enter or submit. Then jump up and down and say WHOSE YOUR DADDY REALLY LOUD AT THE MONITOR AND WAKE UP THE WHOLE HOUSE CAUSE YOU FINALLY GOT IT !!! LOL

HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE ELSE!! GOOD LUCK

2 Likes

Wow! That’s a whole bunch of steps!

Using the authenticator app was WAY easier than that. Well, it was once I figured out how to use it…

I’d have to agree, after trying multiple methods/steps I am unsure what code it is looking for in the 2FA field as it never seems to take the one the Amazon site provides… with an authenticator app it worked on the first try.

EDIT: after changing my Amazon password I went to check my config and my old password was still in my !secrets… I started wondering if the Alexa Media Player integration still pulls that from the YAML config… and maybe somehow that was over-riding the password I was entering into the Configuration Pop-up window?? Just a thought, maybe someone knows more about how that aspect works… (or if the yaml config is totally turned off at this point, really not sure)

The yaml is imported every time it is seen so will override the config flow. This is how the majority of HA integrations function.