Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Thank you very much! Looks to be working now. Thanks for the help and thanks for the component. You rock!

@Holdestmade

The error you see was always in my log, even in the older versions. It only does this at startup. The wording has changed a bit but it used to say “AlexaMedia does not produce unique ID’s” or something to that effect and repeated for all your Alexa’a x2. I get 18 of them.

Regards
Simon

Upgraded HA to .97, then used HACS to update Alexa Media Player to 1.4.1. Have restarted HA about 3 times now…getting a lot of helpers/entity.py errors saying no entity specified for entity My-Alexa-Device-Name plus shuffle switch or do not disturb switch

@wmaker Same here, see above.

@Twit I didn’t have these errors before on 0.96.5 and 1.3

It appears that Alexa Media is working. I noticed I also get these same errors for my Fire TV Stick too

Thanks, Keaton. Great work from both yourself and Alan on this project, it’s one of my favorites!

My question was not meant to criticize the project but rather, to find out if the integration into hass as an official component has a target time frame.

Also, there are so many posts on this thread that it is hard to follow from the beginning. Have you guys considered maybe starting a new thread using the latest release? Not sure if that would be of value or not but this one is approaching 3000 posts, which is pretty impressive.

I have just updated to 0.97 and my automation notifications to call services, media_player.alexa_tts no longer works. I originally had the problem that was posted to HA.0.97 Update Configuration about the config problem after the recommendations were applied I no longer had the config error but my automatons still did not work. Thanks for any help, lucky from prior experiences good backups save lots of finger work!!

1 Like

upgraded to .97 and used HACS to update Alexa media Player…actually, I removed it and then used HACS to install. I am accessing two amazon accounts…I deleted both pickles…and I rebooted.

The system hung during the reboot…just sat there. I hashmarked all the alexa code in configuration.yaml and the system started normally. I also tried hashmarking out the second amazon account, so I restarted with one account.

My configuration.yaml:

#alexa_media:
 #  accounts:
 #    - email: [email protected]
 #      password: yyyyyyyy
 #      url: amazon.com

No matter what I do…if I put alexa media into the configuration file, my rpi just sits and won’t respond to any internet (wired or wireless). If I take it out…I boot normally.

Not sure how to debug this…but something is very amiss…

Squeeze in question here.

I want my bedroom speaker to play music when my gf is sleeping while me and my friends keep using spotify around the house (playing spotify in one room will pause the other sessions so i cant do that)

Is this only capable to output songs from spotify/amazon music?
Ive got plex configured but its not compatible with alexa’s routines, its not possible to output that to alexas media players either?

Thanks

any way to tell this component from making the extra switches? I have about 8 alexas in the house and after the last update I have 24 switches that i won’t use. Any way to disable them?

I assume you’re using Alexa cloud integration? Go into settings, Home assistant cloud, then Manage entities. Then just switch off the ones you don’t want.

I can’t get these to work and think it’s not currently supported but -

Are there any plans to add Alexa Skills Kit Sound Library support?
This would be truly awesome!

alexa:
  smart_home:
    client_id: !secret amazon_client_id
    client_secret: !secret amazon_client_secret
    filter:
      exclude_entities:

is that in the cloud ui? I don’t use that myself …but just realized that I probably replied to the wrong person too :slight_smile:

this was meant to address your question:

Facing the same issue, on a RPi3 running Hass.io on Raspbian.

Working fine with Hass.io installed on a NUC running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, really strange.

1.4.1 is out.

This fixes the major bugs caused by Amazon’s API and HA 97.0’s changes along with other misc bug fixes. As for new features, we added in support for shuffle, repeat, and do not disturb through 3 new switches. I haven’t drafted the documentation but shuffle and repeat only impact a player which is playing a playlist or service that supports it in the Amazon app.

Please note, while I don’t normally like releasing with bugs, we released with two known bugs related to the NoEntitySpecifiedError. This should be a harmless bug as it’s thrown only during startup because HA is trying to update the component before it’s fully loaded. If you see anything worse like lost functionality, then please let us know in the appropriate thread (switch, alarm_control_panel).

For those on hassio, you may have to restart 2-3 times before HA will load the dependencies. It doesn’t look like something we can control too well.

Features:
feat(switch): add basic switch support (do not disturb, repeat, shuffle) (resolves #195, resolves#203)

Fixes:
fix(media_player): remove unused MEDIA_PLAYER_SCHEMA (#261) (resolves #259)
fix(media_player): alternative serial numbers not recognized for mobile apps (resolves #249)
fix(guard): catch TypeError exception for regions without Guard (#245) (fixes #243, fixes #248 )
fix(guard): add additional checks for failed guard access (fixes #243, fixes #248 )
fix(guard): add 2s delay for guard state check after voice activity (fixes #256)
fix(guard): schedule HA update after processing voice (fixes #256)
fix(media_player): fix bug where get_last_called called before init
fix(captcha): add captcha to handle OTP selection page (fixes #258)
fix(wshandler): properly handle entryId does not contain #
fix(switch): add unique_id function

Full changelog.

As always, please use the the Wiki and FAQ if you need instructions or have questions. Also, please help in documenting features in the wiki since this thread is basically unsearchable now. We also use GitHub for bug reports/feature requests .

Provide logs.

No, not yet. They are created for any enabled media player. exclude_devices won’t work at the switch level. We need to add that feature.

This was deprecated in 1.3.0. Please use notify.

I believe we already support some SSML. I don’t know if that automatically gets the sound-library. If it does, please update the wiki.

We replicate the Alexa app functionality. If you can do it with the app, then we can try to add it here. If you can’t do it in the app, then we can’t do it.

No timeline since HACS gives us many of the benefits of ease of distribution. Not sure there’s a benefit to starting a new thread. We already tell people to use the Wiki instead of the thread.

1 Like

@alandtse @ghstudio

So, turns out, PiHole (adblocker) was stopping it from working.

I just turned PiHole off, rebooted, and everything came back online. Very strange as PiHole has been running previously and the issue has not occurred.

PiHole also running on my NUC, updated and runs without error. Weird…

The upgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.4.1 is okay and everythings seems working from HA logs in debug mode… but the speaker don’t reproduce the audio messages I don’t know why… anyone have the same behaviour?