Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Uh… ok. But wouldn’t it make sense when you “Include” a device, to, by default, include the associated sensors? I would think that this is the behavior most would assume, no?

2 Likes

I added alexa to the TTS section of my configuration and I get this error when restarting HA

Platform error tts.alexa - No module named ‘homeassistant.components.alexa.tts’

When trying to call the service manually I get

‘Failed to call service media_player/alexa_tts. Service not found.’

Help?

@alandtse
could you give an example on how to include a sensor of a device?

For example we know how it looks for devices, but how to include the donotdisturb switch or a sensor?

alexa_media:
  accounts:
  - email: your amazon email
    password: your amazon password
    url: amazon.com
    include_devices:
      - "Master Bedroom"

I totally agree with @ha_steve

My alexa announce doesn’t work anymore. All Alexa media player entity are discovered as well as notify.echo_devices but since the latest update, the announce doesn’t work anymore. I’m using HACS installed and also tried to reinstall but didn’t fix the issue. Is there an issue integrating Alexa with the latest update? Thank you

Hi, did you delete the .Pickle file when reinstalling? That was the issue I had

No I did not. Where do I find that file?

I found it. Thank you! That fixed the issue.

Is “who is speaking” (Alexa can distinguish between persons in the same household, on the same Alexa account) exposed in this integration, or could it be?

First of all, thank you for this great component that allows me to manage music in a way that is different from using the voice.

I installed through HACS for the first time (v 2.3.4) without any problems and HA runs on Hassio v 0.102.3.

I can play music on Amazon Music.

On the downside, I don’t see any paired Bluetooth speakers in source_list. Only “local speaker”.

I have several echo (echo dot gen2 & echo input) and no speakers are displayed.

What do you think I should check to allow source selection?

My account is logged to amazon.fr
Thank you for your help.

Hi.
I tried this but then I chose to use google assistant, so I removed the custom component and config in configuration.yaml.
I keep on getting alerts about failed login attempts from Amazon IPs.
How can I stop that? Thanks

Login attempt failed

Login attempt or request with invalid authentication from 54.226.197.218

Hello everyone, I have an echo dot and an echo show…the dot no problem but on the show does not see it as a speaker, so I can not let him read the notifications. it’s normal?

I figured it out while watching a dr zzs live stream
need to call service notify.alexa_media_kitchen (NOT the non-existing TTS service)
JSON:
{“message”:“test”,
“data”:{“type”:“tts”}}

1 Like

Today I get a notification that I needed give the captcha again. After that I see some errors:

Error setting up entry [email protected] - amazon.co.uk for sensor

10:14 PM helpers/entity_component.py (ERROR) - message first occurred at 10:14 PM and shows up 2 times

Error setting up entry [email protected] - amazon.co.uk for switch

10:14 PM helpers/entity_component.py (ERROR) - message first occurred at 10:14 PM and shows up 2 times

Error setting up entry [email protected] - amazon.co.uk for alarm_control_panel

Error setting up entry [email protected] - amazon.co.uk for media_player

I had the same issue, See above.

how did you solve it?

EDIT: I restarted my HA system and now the errors are gone. Announcement is working also again.

I never solved them. When restarting, the errors appearing again.

Nobody know how to remove it?
I keep on getting notification about connection attempts by Amazon:

Login attempt failed

Login attempt or request with invalid authentication from 3.83.117.250

whois say it’s AWS:

Source: whois.arin.net

IP Address: 3.83.117.250

Name: AMAZON-IAD

Handle: NET-3-80-0-0-1

Registration Date: 22/08/18

Range: 3.80.0.0-3.95.255.255

Org: Amazon Data Services NoVa

Org Handle: ADSN-1

Address: 13200 Woodland Park Road

City: Herndon

State/Province: VA

Postal Code: 20171

I already removed alexa custom component and commented lines in configuration.yaml

I’ve added this to the wiki now. This doesn’t need the patch, as the from_json filter (which was added in 0.101.0) converts the json into a list.

1 Like

No. It’s a whitelist and whitelists only work if you specifically include things on it. There are other people who have complained about the creation of the sensors/switches for media players. If you’d prefer to have new sensors/features added automatically, you can switch to the blacklist with exclude_devices or disable the filters and rely on the built-in entity disabling. Because HA prefers the disable functionality, we are unlikely to make any significant changes to the filters and may deprecate them in a future release.

The syntax is in the wiki link.

alexa_media:
  accounts:
  - email: your amazon email
    password: your amazon password
    url: amazon.com
    exclude_devices:
. . .
      - "Master Bedroom repeat switch"

No.

A speaker is not a sound source.

The custom component only logs into Amazon. It never goes the other direction. Are you using the default alexa component?

No. Everything should show. Check your url is the right region for your account. Else we’ll need logs to help further.

That entry error is harmless and caused by the fact individual entities are loading too slowly so the custom component may try a second attempt. HA then will report the error cause it notices it already was loaded. We may have a fix at some point in the future but it’s cosmetic at this point.

1 Like

Forgive me if this seems basic: I know you can play to an Echo Multiroom setup as a separate card/entity, but is there a way to have individual volume sliders / ability to turn on/off a multiroom group from the media player? Something like the sonos speakers for mini-player: