Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Updating state for switch.office_do_not_disturb_switch (<class 'custom_components.alexa_media.switch.DNDSwitch'>) took 0.644 seconds. Please report it to the custom component author.

What I’m already doing with it

I am unable to login now. It asking for SMS or enter any device name as mentioned by another person above. I uninstalled the component and installed it again, I have enabled advanced debugging when logging in. but after ntering sms and submitting it no sms comes.

These are the only messages i get while logging in

2020-03-11 08:24:00 INFO (SyncWorker_2) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2
2020-03-11 08:24:11 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2
2020-03-11 08:24:22 INFO (SyncWorker_18) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2
2020-03-11 08:24:33 INFO (SyncWorker_14) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2
2020-03-11 08:24:44 INFO (SyncWorker_11) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2
2020-03-11 08:24:55 INFO (SyncWorker_12) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2
2020-03-11 08:25:06 INFO (SyncWorker_9) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2
2020-03-11 08:25:17 INFO (SyncWorker_15) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2

2020-03-11 08:25:28 INFO (SyncWorker_13) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2
2020-03-11 08:25:38 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker] Updating device list from legacy took longer than the scheduled scan interval 0:00:10
2020-03-11 08:25:49 INFO (SyncWorker_12) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2
2020-03-11 08:26:00 INFO (SyncWorker_12) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2
2020-03-11 08:26:11 INFO (SyncWorker_3) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2
2020-03-11 08:26:22 INFO (SyncWorker_2) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2

I have a question for Node Red users. My voice notifications have been working great for months but sometimes the volume is too low to hear so I had an idea. Before sending the speech command I added a node that sets the volume of the speaker in front of it. By adding this it seems to have made it unreliable now. I’ll probably get an actual voice notification 2 out of 10 times but the volume does get set every time. As soon as I remove the node that sets the volume its back to working 100% of the time. Has anyone else encountered this or am I just doing something wrong?

Are you also using Node Red to send the voice notification? If not, how are you ensuring that the Echo isn’t receiving the volume change at the same time as receiving the voice notification?

If you are using Node Red to do both in the same flow, can you post it here?

Yes Node Red takes care of everything. I forgot to mention that I’ve tried using up to a 2 sec delay to ensure it’s not being sent at the same time. The delay seems to increase the consistency by a little but it still doesn’t work 100% of the time with it. This is a motion related flow for when the house is armed so increasing the delay any more than that would probably defeat the purpose. Even when I don’t hear the notifications the node says it was triggered without any errors. Before posting this I tested it with the delay again and it only worked properly once in five tries.

I have tried many many different things to try and resolve this, but it still appears to be popping up repeatedly in my logs:

2020-03-11 15:47:49 ERROR (MainThread) [alexapy.alexawebsocket] WebSocket Error: <class 'concurrent.futures._base.TimeoutError'>
2020-03-11 15:47:49 DEBUG (MainThread) [alexapy.alexawebsocket] WebSocket Connection Closed. <Task finished coro=<WebsocketEchoClient.process_messages() done, defined at /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/alexapy/alexawebsocket.py:146> result=None>

Does anyone have any ideas?

This can appear anywhere between 30 to 80 times overnight.

Seamus

I was going to see if adding that Set volume 40% node affected my alexa voice notifications, but I get an API error every time on that node. I can set volume from HA’s services tool, but only an api error in Node Red. I use Node Red for all of my Alexa voice notifications. I’m totally puzzled why the ‘set volume node’ is not working for me.

Edit:
I finally got it working. I had to add a template node to set a payload for the set_volume node to use for some reason. It’s working every time for me now. I tried it on my flow where I ask Alexa if my garage door is open.

Hmm maybe I should try the template method as well. I don’t get any API errors with the way I have it set up but since it’s working every time for you I might as well give it a shot. Do you mind sharing how you configured the node?

1 Like

The delay may not help it prevents the component from queuing up commands into a sequence. Assuming you’re on the latest version, the component waits 1.5 seconds to see if any other commands need to be sent. Of course, HA may itself be adding delays that we can’t control. So if there’s too much delay, instead of the component sending a single API call with multiple steps, you may instead be sending multiple calls where some of them get throttled by Amazon. alexapy logs will show what is happening.

Hello,
I am trying to configure the integration but I don’t receive any email or sms so I cannot go further. Any ideas ?

Same here, integration was working until 2 days ago, now authentication info isn’t being sent to email or sms.

Same here, no SMS or email sent. I’ve done this a number of times before with no issues. I even tried to remove the component and re-install.

EDIT: I enabled 2FA on my Amazon account using the Google Authenticator App and this worked on the component, I now have it working again.

Are you still having issues with setting the volume and reliably sending a notification? I’m trying to decide whether to implement that with all my Alexa node red flows.

I’m still experiencing the same inconsistencies but I haven’t had a chance to try your method yet. Hopefully I’ll get around to it tomorrow and I’ll update here with the results.

Hi, the timer and reminder sensors don’t work. Are there any changes?
They stay unavailable even when there are timers or reminders active

Alexa Media has stopped working the last few days. I’m getting timeout errors in the logs.
And all the entities say Unavailable.

Workaround is to setup 2FA in a mobile app. However, still waiting for someone to get me log data/Amazon html page causing the error for it to be fixed since I can’t reproduce it locally at all.

No changes. Could be this, or it could be your pickle expired.

Rename your pickle file or submit an issue with logs.

Blockquote
No changes. Could be this, or it could be your pickle expired.

Just for my understanding: In case of an expired pickle file, alexa would’nt work in general, right?
announcements are already working. Only the timers, alarms and reminders weren’t refreshed

You’d imagine but we’ve definitely seen behavior where it randomly broke stuff.