Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Can you please elaborate a bit? What do you mean by this? I don’t have any routines…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202200080

1 Like

@alandtse Just a heads up the new Beta has broken something :slight_smile: Let me know if you need more logs.

Logger: homeassistant.util.package
Source: util/package.py:99
First occurred: 4:02:12 PM (3 occurrences)
Last logged: 4:02:32 PM

Unable to install package alexapy==1.25.3: warning: missing-index-doctype × The package index page being used does not have a proper HTML doctype declaration. ╰─> Problematic URL: https://wheels.home-assistant.io/alpine-3.14/aarch64/ note: This is an issue with the page at the URL mentioned above. hint: You might need to reach out to the owner of that package index, to get this fixed. See https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/10825 for context. ERROR: Cannot install alexapy because these package versions have conflicting dependencies. ERROR: ResolutionImpossible: for help visit https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/topics/dependency-resolution/#dealing-with-dependency-conflicts

Thanks. We have an issue open already.

Question surrounding “Run Custom Command.” I am wanting to have a skill execute “ask white noise to play box fan for ten hours” but I am unsure how to execute this in NodeRed using JSON. Any examples someone could share?

@keatontaylor I don’t know it’s up to you, but i would like to ask the creator of Alexa Media Player to rename the translation files properly. The correct one for the Brazilian Portuguese translation to be applied is pt-BR, not pt_BR as it is in the component. The correct one for the Portuguese version of Portugal is just pt and not pt_PT as it is in the component.

With the renamed file the translation is applied.

Thanks for listening.

1 Like

@flyize did you try @Didgeridrew suggestion:

###configuration.yaml

template:
  - sensor:
      - name: last_alexa
        state: >
          {{ expand('group.echos') | selectattr('attributes.last_called','eq',True) | map(attribute='entity_id') | first }}
        availability: >
          {{ expand('group.echos') | selectattr('attributes.last_called','eq', True) | first is defined }}

regarding the issue?

Template variable warning: No first item, sequence was empty. when rendering '{{ expand('group.echos') | selectattr('attributes.last_called','eq',True) | map(attribute='entity_id') | first }}'

thx

Hi Guys,

I am trying to integrate my HomeAssistant with Google Home speaker and Amazon Echo Dot. My current automation works correctly and plays through the google home speaker when requested in Home Assistant.

But when I added the Echo dot to this automation it doesn’t play on that device. I tried tts but it says “sorry, I’m having trouble connecting to your Simon says EU skill right now”

alias: Asr Azan
trigger:
  - platform: time_pattern
    seconds: '30'
condition:
  - condition: template
    value_template: '{{ now().time().strftime("%H:%M") == states.sensor.asr.state }}'
action:
  - service: media_player.volume_set
    data:
      volume_level: '1'
    target:
      entity_id: media_player.living_room_speaker
      device_id: media_player.bedroomspeaker
  - service: media_player.play_media
    data:
      media_content_id: https://www.islamcan.com/audio/adhan/azan3.mp3
      media_content_type: audio/mp3
    target:
      entity_id: media_player.living_room_speaker
      device_id: media_player.bedroomspeaker

Hi, I never worked with mixed devices but imo it can not work when you use entity_id and device_id in one service call.
I would split the service call in one for the google and a second for the echo.
The echos have to be addressed with entity_id, media_content_id and media_conten_type.

But are you shure that you have to use device_id for the googles?
Maybe it works like this:
target:
entity_id:
- speaker 1
- speaker 2

This doesn’t work with Alexa. You can try to find a skill and create a routine in your Alexa app. This routine can be triggered by using play_media.

I’m pretty sure I did. I can confirm that mine works now.

1 Like

I’ve updated the Wiki to include availability for the Last Alexa sensor so it’s easier to find, as everyone will surely be experiencing this error. I certainly was. Thanks for the solution.

1 Like

Thanks guys for the confirmation and updating the wiki!

Is there a way to have TTS for the media_player.everywhere group? I mainly use mini media player to send messages to individual dots. But I’d like to be able to type a message and have it send to the every group. I tried my normal way in mini media player but it didn’t send to any of them.

Is there a better way? It doesn’t have to use mini media player. Just a Lovelace item that I can type in, and have it send to all echoes.

Thanks.

Is there a way I can setup a Lovelace item so myself or my wife can type something into a field?

This is what I set up… it requires a couple custom cards from HACS, but it has worked well for me.

All the related scripts and stuff

An easier option to set up is to use the mini-media-player custom card, but you need one for each echo device you want to use.

type: custom:mini-media-player
entity: media_player.kitchen_dot
tts:
  platform: alexa
  data:
    target: media_player.kitchen_dot
    data:
      type: tts
1 Like

This is perfect. Thanks. I currently use mini-media-player but just want that ability for everywhere. Thanks again.

Input_text?

@Didgeridrew

This is exactly what I want. I feel I am so close. I have the selector, and I have the helpers, and created the scripts. But nothing happens when I type in my announcement and say announce it.

If needed I can post all my edits.