Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Thanks so much for this. Very cool. I have not done any automations yet, but have been able to start music from amazon, Spotify, etc. As well as TTS using json and the UI.

I have a quick question before I really dig deep and start setting up some more advanced scripts, automations, etc.

What is the likelihood that amazon will make changes that shut this down? I know that anything can happen at any time, but I mean is this doing anything really significant that would be a major issue with Amazon?

Now everything works great!!
Awesome work!! :+1:

Thank you for the information.
Do you plan to implement a version which works with 2FA enabled?

Awesome work! Works very great.
Thank you

Hello @Corey_Maxim … I don’t. I’ve restarted the sh_it out of my HA instance. Not once the captcha intervened. First time (and only) when I had to input the captcha code, was 2 days ago, when I initiallised the container. Since then, niente, nada, zero … I have HA 0.75.2, running in a Docker container, on a Synology box. Ask me what I did. Come on, ask me ! … :slight_smile:

@keatontaylor or @SMARTMEDIA or anybody?

I’ve read through this really looong thread a I just need to clarity something…

If I’m running a non-hassio version of HA in docker do I still need to install the alexa-api docker container to get this to work or just follow the instructions in post #1 above (with the crossed out reference to docker)?

If I still need to run the alexa-api container then which IP address do i need to put in for the host? the IP for the HA docker container, the IP for the alexa-api docker container or the real host machine IP?

I have added component 8.1 have entered capture once on initial boot have rebooted several times and never been prompted for captcha again so this is working as expected. I go to the list of media players and I can see my echo’s listed but they all have the state unavailable. Has anyone else encountered this what did you need to do to resolve?

***I changed my url to .com.au and they now show up :slight_smile:

Working great for me on hass.io 0.75.1. Luckily got hold of a couple of echo dots recently in the amazon prime day sale for next to nothing so can now put them to good use. Many thanks for all the hard work so far!

ok updated to 0.75.2 (hassio) and tried the updated PR (8.1 version) receiving this error at startup:
2018-08-07 22:58:48 ERROR (SyncWorker_9) [custom_components.media_player.alexa] Error loading pickled cookie to /config/alexa_media.pickle: An exception of type FileNotFoundError occurred. Arguments:
UPDATE: I thought for sure it would fail … but it worked! :smile:
I checked firefox just after posting my error and feeling defeated … the captcha showed up and i was able to configure…now all devices appear … testing for functionality now…this is cool … it works!

I did notice that attempting to type into the entity interface results in an alexa (speaking) error that text must be called thru the alexa tts service…

Typing in this box calls “GOOGLE TTS” it should call alexa media player TTS … should be a quick fix but need to go to bed :slight_smile:

@lweberru, I can confirm this work with 75.2. Changed the Alexa.py file and booted my 75.2 docker image, no errors. Thanks for the info.

In the PR hopper. In my tests you can just turn on 2FA and if you have a valid cookie it’ll still log on. It will also ask Amazon to remember the device so it should only ask the first time.

1 Like

Lol :laughing: please enlighten me my friend! I really want to know!

I’m running the 8.1 version but I’m getting this error:

[custom_components.media_player.alexa] Error loading pickled cookie to /config/alexa_media.pickle: An exception of type EOFError occurred. Arguments:
('Ran out of input',)

media_player.alexa_tts

Try that!

How do you get passed the capture picture? I can’t ever get passed it, it just always says failed to login :frowning:

anyway to get text to speak on media player to work when you type words?

I have created a script based on Alexa TTS that I use to pass dynamic content to make announcements. Is there a way to know when a TTS message has completed or when the script has completed so I can use a wait template before sending the next TTS message?

Thanks

1 Like

Just upgraded to 0.8.1 and my AU account with my Echo is working. Made no changes, just updated, and it’s now working.

Now to add TTS…

Can you share your script?

Do you have all the required entries in your configuration.yaml?

input_select: !include input_select.yaml
input_text: !include input_text.yaml
1 Like