Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Removing the timezone doesn’t work for me. It appears - like your screenshot - but there’s no “save” button so when I navigate away and then back to the settings the timezone is set again (currently to US EDT).

I’ve entered a NY zip code for device location - is this what you’ve done too?

No, i have only what you see. I

It’s odd. I don’t see the “Follow-Up Mode” that you have either… Are you on alexa.amazon.co.uk when entering this?
What do you have for the device location? Again, I can’t keep it blank.

also, is this on the web (via browser) on on the Alexa app on a device?

Dont forget to remove your alexa_media.pickle =cookie file so you get a new cookie from
hass config dir after changing settings

So after clearing browser cache, whenever I log in to alexa.amazon.com I get redirected to .co.uk, which seems like a slightly different site (based on the lack of “Follow-Up Mode”.

You also need to remove /homeassistant/.homeassistant/alexa_media.pickle then restart hass
You will get a new captha to fill in for Alexa in home assistant page.
media_player:

• platform: alexa
    email: !secret alexa_email
    password: !secret alexa_password
    url: amazon.com

Hello, I’m hoping somebody could help me out here.

My alexa tts is working great, Im trying to add the automation above. I don’t use packages. I assume I can put each section where it belongs in my config. Im getting errors with the automation. any suggestions?

heres my error.
Invalid config for [automation]: Entity ID {% if is_state(‘input_select.alexa’ is an invalid entity id for dictionary value @ data[‘action’][0][‘entity_id’]. Got None
expected a dictionary for dictionary value @ data[‘action’][0][‘data_template’]. Got None
extra keys not allowed @ data[‘action’][0][‘volume_level’]. Got None. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 185). Please check the docs at https://home-assistant.io/components/automation/

- alias: Alexa TTS
      trigger:
        platform: state
        entity_id: input_select.alexa
      action:
        - service: media_player.volume_set
          data_template:
          entity_id: >
            {% if is_state('input_select.alexa', 'Living Room') %}
            media_player.livingroom
            {% elif is_state('input_select.alexa', 'Bedroom') %}
            media_player.bedroom
            {% elif is_state('input_select.alexa', 'Courtney's Room') %}
            media_player.courtneys_room
            {% elif is_state('input_select.alexa', 'Cameron's Room') %}
            media_player.camerons_room
            {% elif is_state('input_select.alexa', 'Morgan's Room') %}
            media_player.morgans_room
            {% elif is_state('input_select.alexa', 'None') %}
            false
            {% endif %}
          volume_level: '{{ states.input_number.alexa_volume.state | float /10 }}'
        - service: media_player.alexa_tts
          data_template:
          entity_id: >
            {% if is_state('input_select.alexa', 'Living Room') %}
            media_player.living_room
            {% elif is_state('input_select.alexa', 'Bedroom') %}
            media_player.master_bedroom
            {% elif is_state('input_select.alexa', 'Courtney's Room') %}
            media_player.courtneys_room
            {% elif is_state('input_select.alexa', 'Cameron's Room') %}
            media_playe.camerons_room
            {% elif is_state('input_select.alexa', 'Morgan's Room') %}
            media_player.morgans_room
            {% elif is_state('input_select.alexa', 'None') %}
            false
            {% endif %}
        - delay: '00:00:05'
        - service: input_select.select_option
          data:
            option: None

Can this not just be placed in my automation.yaml?

One thing I noticed is that you have triple 's which won’t work (Courtney’s, Cameron’s and Morgan’s) remove the extra apostrophes in the automation and the input_select.

Wow, I can’t believe it was something so small! It passed config check. Restarting now! Thanks So much!!!

Created and account here just to say THANKS! I’ve been playing with this for the last 3 hours, it’s AWESOME

Do you know if anything needs to be added to get the volume slider to work? The slider is there but has no effect.

Doenst work for me neither the volume slider

I’m not home to experiment right now but try this anyway:

input_number:  
  input_number.alexa_volume:
    icon: mdi:volume-high
    mode: slider

I don’t think the slider will have an effect unless you set it before the automation runs, i.e. before you change the input_select. To do it dynamically you would need either another trigger added to the current automation (the input_number) or another automation using the input_number as a trigger.

- alias: Alexa TTS
      trigger:
        entity_id: input_number.alexa_volume

Thanks guys, I’ll give it a try when I get home tonight! Everything else is working!

I appreciate your time and help!

Please let us know your results and successful code. I am trying to do the exact same thing (configuration.yaml vs packages) for the exact same scenario.

Unfortunately neither had a effect on the volume, if I figure it out i will be sure to let you know!

I am new to HA but have managed to get this installed and recognising my Echo devices. Using suggestions here about playing audio when cycling power on my RPi3 sees the echo recognised but I can’t control the media remotely.

The echo is playing music via Spotify and don’t have any Spotify plugin installed, is this likely to be the issue or should this not matter? My understanding is the script is making API calls so a Spotify plugin wouldnt be required?

Running HassOS 2.2 on a RPi3, latest build on HA and no error or warning messages in the I go panel.

Any thoughts please?

My only two thoughts are that you may need numeric state as the trigger or you may have to have it as a separate automation. However it should work as any state change of either the input select or the input number should cause the automation to run, you could check in the log or the history.