Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

same problem!!
Tested on Echo ver 2 and echo dot ver 3 tts not working .
while on echo dot ver 2 tts work but on italian account echo dot ver 2 not support italian , only english language .

Same here.
It works perfectly with a US version 2 in English, but a Spanish version 3 makes a short pause as if it was going to say something, but ignores it.

TTS makes use of the simon says skill from alexa.

in the alexa app can you let alexa speak custom text in the routines?
is there any difference there?

Here exactly the same but in Spanish language (amazon.es)

Thanks for the component!

Yes, in the alexa app works as expected, but with pre-set phrases.
No chance to type in a different one.
I guess something changed in vers.3, and some tweaking will be necessary to make TTS work in this.

only preset phrases was how it was in the beginning.
as long as custom phrases are not possible, there is no posibility to have TTS. you cant tweak what doesnt exist.

Ok thanks.
Will change later on, I hope

Running hassio 0.81

Managed add my echo dots this evening and they reflect what is being played etc but I can’t seem to get the tts to work.

I have tried delivering the package via events and also through a script as detailed below:

alexatest:
  alias: Alexa TTS
  sequence:
    - service: media_player.alexa_tts
      data:
        entity_id: media_player.guest_bedroom

Neither work. I cannot change the volume either.

Are there some additional authorisation steps or anything I need to do?

Hello guys,

is there a way to read the temperature from the new echo plus (gen. 2)?

Greetz!

Updated/restarted and reconfigured alexa…working again :slight_smile:

After doing some more testing I have been able to (mostly) reliably change the volume on one device up and down during running of a single script.

But one of my needs is to be able to change the volume on all of my echo devices at the same time.

I can send the same TTS message to all of my Echo’s at once and it works fine but when I send a play_media call to all of the Echo’s I get a replay on one or more that says “music is already streaming on another device. Do you want to switch streaming to this device instead?”.

I’ve looked at how to stream music to more than one device thru the “multi-room music” groups on the Alexa app but I’m not sure how, or if it’s possible, to call that service from HA. I’ve set up my Echo’s as a group but that group doesn’t show up outside the Alexa environment that I can find.

you need to create a musicgroup in the alexa app.
after that and a new restart from HA there should be a new mediaplayer that represents the alexagroup.

Already did that yesterday and also restarted HA ( a few times ) but I still don’t get any new media players. Just the same ones I’ve always had.

i guess that the mediaplayer component doesnt scan for new devices at startup then. (it should)
i know that the mediaplayer component creates files in the .storage subdir in the homeassistant config dir.
so i think they should be deleted to get a new setup.

.storage is a hidden dir and if you find the files there be carefull not to delete the wrong files.

I’m having the same issue too. I have the group created in the app but it does not show in HA. When I removed this line " if device[‘deviceFamily’] != ‘ECHO’:
continue"
on the file alexa.py, the group showed up on HA.

is that line new? or did you put it there yourselve?
because when i tested it it did create a mediaplayer for everything (incl. firesticks, groups, mobile, pc, etc)

I don’t have any files dealing with media_players except for the entries in the entity_registry file in that location.

ex2

That line doesn’t exist in my alexa.py file.

i am sure i had a mediaplayer file there.

in the config dir from ha there is the cookie alexa_media.pickle
maybe if you delete that it forces to update the device list.

that file should have been located under custom_components/media_player folder. At least that how it is on my setup.

Which file are you referring to?