Eliminate the need for restarts

What’s with the snarkiness here? None of these things has anything to do with the issue at hand so what was your point? Nobody was calling your Home Assistant greatness into question. I didn’t imply you were wrong. I said I hope you’re right. Are you seriously taking the fact that I’m trying to verify it and find documentation of the change personally? If so, please let me offer my most profuse apologies and I beg your forgiveness. It was not intended to be personal.

The fact that this did not work before is well documented. The fact that it would never be supported is also documented. The fact that it does work now is not documented (or at least I can’t find it anywhere). Maybe it’s not documented because the feature still in beta and not necessarily reliable? If that’s the case I can wait to convert back to packages. Maybe it was just an oversight? If that’s the case then maybe one of us can update the docs.

How did you discover that it works now? Do you have some special insider knowledge? Did you see something in the release notes? Did you randomly keep trying it every day hoping it would eventually work?

It is documented that it changed - it was skipped over in the release notes (I suspect out of embarrassment because, as you say, it was vehemently opposed for so long by the Supreme Leader), but it does work reliably and packages can be used with the reload features.

Calm down everyone, it’s Friday night. Have a takeaway and get back to hacking your configs :roll_eyes:

Yeah we’re all on the same team working on the same thing here… I mighta got my panties in a bunch a wee bit here too. My apologies.

Can’t say that I’m not a little bit miffed I just changed my config back though. Would have been nice to catch that change in the Release Notes before I wasted my time.

1 Like

I’m sorry but there was no ‘snarkiness’ I was merely listing the rough size and complexity (or not) of my current state so you could get an idea.
I must admit I found you requesting finity to verify a bit strange as finity (though he has ‘some’ packages) does not base his ecosystem around them.
And as I pointed out, you could verify this for yourself in less than 5 mins

As for timing and my discovery, that’s more a matter of my own ignorance, I knew nothing of any shortcomings in packages and had the opportunity to restart my config, I decided to bite two bullets at the same time, packages and lovelace.
I read the documentation, I implemented both and never had a problem other than holes in my knowledge. I have even corrected finity in the past when he stated that customisation was not possible in packages.
I only found out that reloading was recent when @klogg told me so.
Give me a few minutes and I’ll find the post, I’ll edit to add.

Edit: Found it : - Packages and automations (am I doing something wrong?)
If you read the thread and the dates you can see roughly when it was and the statement was made by @anon43302295 (though I admit reading his other posts in the same thread it’s a bit ambiguous)
As finity suggests the support for reloading was ‘snuck in’ without any fanfare.
Perhaps Marc or Klogg can add more as they were more actively paying attention around that time. :man_shrugging:

If that’s the case then I have misread you and I apologise but that statement sure sounded like you were taking things a little personally. And to clarify I asked @finity because we just recently had a conversation about exactly this and I was aware he utilized packages, and he had also jumped in the conversation here. Nothing against you. I hope the misunderstanding has been clarified and this is all behind us. Apologies if I misread you.

So maybe we should make a note about this in the package documentation? Or am I living under a rock and am really the last to find out?!? :crazy_face:

So I will take note to add more emojis :crazy_face:

So have you made one boolean flip the other yet ? :rofl:

Lol. Honestly I would have done something exactly like you suggested but I’m trying to track down a memory leak right now so I’m trying not to change anything while I leave it running in between restarts so I can monitor the memory use. But once I’ve got this figured out I’m just going to take your word for it and redo my packages. My config is all split up into individual files so it won’t take long.

actually yes, I just did. And it seems to have worked.

I created an automation and a script in a package, verified the config and then hit “reload scripts” and “reload automations” and they both showed up in my states page.

So I will change that quote to:

Apparently the ability to “reload” those in packages as well was just recently quietly added.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for checking in. Ironic we were just discussing this the other day. My mind is blown this wasn’t mentioned in the release notes. It seems like it was a big achievement. Hopefully anyone who cares and still doesn’t know sees this thread and figures it out. I suppose for anybody just starting out they’ll be none the wiser that it was never the case. Maybe that is why the change wasn’t noted in the actual docs for packages? Who knows. It works now. Oh happy day! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you go to the bottom of that thread you’ll find a link to a ‘feature request’ - it was in that feature request that it was explained that it had been implemented. For some reason (probably me gobbing off!) that thread has since been deleted. That’s why none of us can find it on the forums, and the PR that was linked to in that thread didn’t have ‘packages’ in the title so I can’t find that either, but it definitely works :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Many thanks Marc, for your efforts in ‘gobbling off’ in the first place.
And for confirming the detail (ie letting the rest of us know)

1 Like

This would be great thing to have, in fact some newer itegrations allow adding and removing entities with retarts, it would be great if this could be done by all itegrations.

This would be great!

+1 for this. Every time I edit an automation any currently running delays, timers, or state trigger durations on other automations are interrupted. Seems like something that should be avoided.

2 Likes

1 for this. Every time I edit an automation any currently running delays, timers, or state trigger durations on other automations are interrupted. Seems like something that should be avoided.

4 Likes

I somehow didn’t realize this was happening until today. When I knew an automation should trigger soon and it didn’t I went digging… I thought there was just something buggy happening from time to time. This is better, but sort of worse. Seems like a big (albeit difficult to easily fix) issue.

Also, for each integration, it should be possible to run as a separate Linux process, like the chrome browser works, for example, so that the system can be set at the kernel level when the integration should be restarted. To allow an advanced user to manage integration auto-reboots, so that a properly configured HA will never require a kernel reload.

This has been fixed in the November release. Editing automations only reloads the ones changed

Edit: this was supposed to be in reply to

Not sure what that has to do with this FR. This FR is about eliminating the need for restarts. You haven’t needed to restart HA when an automation is modified for some time. What you’re linking to is an improvement on that existing feature (only modified automations are reloaded when automation.reload is called).

That doesn’t change the fact that many many integrations still require a restart when their config is changed.

This would be big!