ELK M1 Interface

Ah, okay. Firmware on the panel is 5.3.10, which appears to be latest. M1XEP is 2.0.42, which also appears to be latest. My panel is several years old, but just installed it. I had to get past the issue with TLS problems from a couple of years ago. But the updates worked there. Secure port is there and the default 2601. I had to go in and enable the non-secure port.

M1XEP claims it can support 16 characters, so I have a standard apg generated 16 character password which is ASCII letters and numbers. Username and password were copy and paste from the config.

AMX beacon is off.

The keypad had the right time on it. I did not have NTP setup on the M1XEP. I just did that and synced the time. That didn’t fix the secure connection.

When I hit the port with openssl, I get back TLSv1.2. I don’t get any ciphers or certs, which I find odd. But I’m used to poking at more traditional things like HTTP and LDAP with openssl.

Trying with M1ToGo with secure settings, I can get in with that username and password.

In addition to trying to test the elk library by itself outside of HASS, you can try setting HASS to a more verbose logging setting and wade through the resulting noise … https://www.home-assistant.io/components/logger/

Also, just to eliminate some bug in the library with too long passwords, try using a shorter password as a test (since you said you’re using one right at the limit). I doubt this solves it, but it’s an easy thing to try…

hello,

new to this thread. and home assistant and elk for that matter. :slight_smile: Does anyone have examples of ELK in HA placed into display panels? right now, the home page is kind of over whelming with information. this is a gigantic thread.

Hello, since the new version of Hassio was released making folks use Lovelace, my Arm Home and Arm Away gui no longer works. The status updates, but entering the code and clicking the buttons does not. Anyone know why?

I had an issue as well, but just updated to 0.87 and it works just fine again. Might wanna try to upgrade.

I just upgraded to try it out, still no luck. Are you using an Elk?

yup. do all other functions work? what your lovelace config look like for the alarm panel?

Yes. The other functions work. Hmm…

For those of you who both aren’t and are having trouble with the alarm panel, please report:

Whether it is working for you
HASS version
HASS installation type (i.e., docker, hass.io, etc)
HASS hardware (PC, Pi 2/3/…, etc)
Elk version
Elk connection method (M1XEP, C1M1, direct serial, …)
HASS Elk configuration YAML (just the part for the elkm1 is fine)
HASS Lovelace configuration (just the part for the elkm1 alarm panel is fine)
Anything logged about the elkm1 integration

Also, if you had problems but upgrading HASS solved them like they did for jon, please mention that too.

Unable to arm via Lovelace alarm panel, able to arm and disarm through automations or original “states” interface.

HASS version: 0.87.0
HASS installation type: Docker
HASS hardware: PC
Elk version: Firmware 5.3.10
Elk connection method: M1XEP
HASS Elk configuration YAML:

elkm1:
  host: elk://10.1.10.10
  temperature_unit: F
  area:
    exclude:
      - 2-8
  output:
    include:
  task:
    exclude:
      - 1-32
  thermostat:
    exclude:
      - 1-16
  counter:
    exclude:
      - 1-64
  keypad:
    include:
      - 1-2
  plc:
    exclude:
      - a1-p16
  zone:
    include:
      - 1-12
  setting:
    exclude:
      - 1-20

HASS Lovelace configuration: Autogenerated so I can’t see it
Anything logged about the elkm1 integration

2019-02-07 18:14:50 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/src/app/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 289, in _handle_service_platform_call
await getattr(entity, func)(**data)
File "/usr/src/app/homeassistant/components/alarm_control_panel/elkm1.py", line 191, in async_alarm_arm_away
self._element.arm(ArmLevel.ARMED_AWAY.value, int(code))
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

The error was from when you tried to arm using the Lovelace panel?

Mine was not working, but sometime around the 0.87 upgrade it started working again.

HASS version: 0.87.0
HASS installation type: Docker
HASS hardware: nuc
Elk version: Firmware 5.3.10
Elk connection method: M1XEP
HASS Elk configuration YAML:

elkm1:
  host: !secret url_elk
  temperature_unit: F
  area:
    exclude: [2-8]
  zone:
    exclude: [17-24, 27-208]
  output:
    exclude: [1-8, 11-208]
  counter:
    exclude: [2-64]
  keypad:
    include: [1-5]
  task:
    enabled: false
  thermostat:
  plc:
  setting:

Lovelace config:

- id: alarmPanel
    type: alarm-panel
    entity: alarm_control_panel.area001
    name: House
    style: '--alarm-color-disarmed: var(--label-badge-blue);'
    show_keypad: true
    display_letters: true
    states:
      - arm_home
      - arm_away
      - arm_night

That’s correct.

I am not sure if this has been asked or not, but when I activate a counter with my Elk M1G, the counter does not update in HA. Also the Tasks do not update either. I have made sure that they were in my config file and I have also removed and added them within my config file, while restarting each time. I am using the M1XEP to connect.
Suggestions?

if I recall correctly, i think there is a bug in the elk API that doesn’t update counter values or something… there was some debate about if this should be polled I think (in this thread earlier).

counter values - turns out that unlike most other things, the Elk doesn’t automatically send updates for these changing. I believe the same is true for custom values. We’ll need to add a service for polling them for changes. Most likely have users then set up an automation to run every interval they desire to query for changes. For counter values, they must be checked individually. For custom values, they can all be queried with a single request.

Tasks are basically momentary things and so you’ll never really see them “on”. They’re currently implemented using the scenes component type in HASS because there wasn’t a more fitting momentary switch type of implementation existing. When a Task is activated, you can then have an automation triggered by the activation of it. You can also click on it in the UI to activate the Task.

For the problem with Lovelace and using the alarm arming/disarming interface, I just updated to the latest HassIO release today on our production system and switch to using lovelace. Previously we were on an older version where lovelace wouldn’t auto-configure so I just went ahead and updated and tested rather than manually configuring it. I did not have any problems with arming or disarming, though I did notice I couldn’t disarm while it was in the process of arming (not sure if regression or what - this was a problem before in the old UI when using the “wrong” state for exit delay, but we fixed that, so if there’s an issue I assume it’s in lovelace).

Elk interface broken when updating to Hassio .88.0

I rolled back to 0.87.1 and its working again.

It’s wont arm or disarm from Lovelace security panel.

Interesting. I just upgraded our HassIO yesterday and I think it was .87.1 - just missed upgrading to .88

If you’ve been using Elk integration since before it was merged into HASS proper, you should probably remove the elk files/folders from custom_components. Looks like some of those errors are about error loading custom_components versions. Maybe that will help?