Email from from Tuya IOT: free trial is expiring today - Tuya official integration

Agree on this issue and unfortunately TUYA is controlling almost all IoT market in Indonesia minus the zigbee version. However zigbee clearly doesn’t work very well for our household since our house build with thick brick which have an affect for connections, unless you install a lot of zigbee bulb in all of the rooms. Anyway temporarily avoid TUYA at all cost.

1 Like

I am switching bit by bit all Tuya devices to Zigbee. Using a ZigStar V4 as coordinator and a few strategically placed Zigbee Plugs (working also as routers) in a modern 2 floor reinforced concrete brick house without any problems. LQI between 64 (lowest) and 169 (highest).

tuya zigbee? have not try those, however currently using zigbee bulb as my hubs and as long did not go through 2 walls then it should be OK. In most cases it will totally unreachable when it have to go through 2nd wall. Again its depend on the product. My aqara smart switch zigbee have a very low signal, so its not really efficiency in connecting compare to a cheaper tuya switch.

Would buy Athom from AliExpress however wondering how the cost of custom to-date?

No Tuya at all though. I guess that “Tuya” only means they are compatible with those Tuya Zigbee gateways.

I avoid Aquara Zigbee devices since they are not 100% following the Zigbee standard.

I bought a couple of Tasmota Athom switches before. They somehow feel immature and their touch pads are rubbish: Only traind fingers can switch them on the first try. Would definitely not buy them again. I can not speak for the Athom Zigbee line though.

Approx. 35% of the price of the goods including the shipping fee :crazy_face:

The link on aliexpress shown zigbee tuya plugs? hahahahaha…

Anyway have not try buying Athom but its running tasmota instead of TUYA, its a better options for HA.

As for Aqara so far so good in terms of zigbee device and it play nicely over ZHA or Z2M. I run motion sensor, battery switch, direct switch, thermometer, and plugs (some is actually brand Xiaomi)

yeah the custom fee is painfull…

As I said, that “Tuya” seems to be a marketing gag only and might only tell that they work with Tuya-Zigbee-Gateways. They are connecting flawlessly to Z2M and no “Tuya” involved at all.

As I also wrote: Don’ t buy their Tasmota Switches. Your wife/mom/granny will for sure swear on you and the switches. Huge dissapointment unless you plan to use those switches purely through automations or through HA. Physically switching them is a pain in the a***.

Dive deeper into the many complaints of Aquara Zigbee users within the forum.

anyone seen this message from TUYA? : “Subscribe : Trial Edition (one month)Expiration Time : 2022-05-07 Your application for extension is being reviewed. [Modify the application.]”

I just signed into the TUYA IOT platform and can still see all the devices. I haven’t tried to add any more because I am moving away from Tuya/Cloud based devices in preference for things like Shelly and Zigbee.

Thanks for following up. Good to know. I’m also slowly migrating to zigbee devices like the sonoff line.

My Tuya trial expired 5 months ago and everything still works. Even added a few devices and they also work. So we can safely assume that the warning can indeed be ignored. :slight_smile:
Nevertheless, i’m slowly moving away from Tuya to Zigbee and Z-Wave.

2 Likes

The problem is that IOT CORE API Service suspends after a while and you have to reask for approval. It took approximately 1 year to suspend, but it ends suspending once or another, which is kind of annoying because you lose connection to all your Tuya devices (and if you have many it will be a kick in the ass).

I asked yesterday saying that I’m using this for Home Assistant literally, and they approved it, so I must assume they are pretty permissive with their Individual users approvals, which looks fine for me.

Although, I’m looking to Tasmotize the compatible Tuya devices I can, as soon as I receive a USB flasher I ordered through Aliexpress.

The only thing I’ve learned in the past few years is to invest a little more, and purchase the most local-devices not external API dependent possible. If I have to pay $10 extra bucks for a relay or a plug that is not API dependent, I will.

gogo libretuya-esphome / tuya-cloudcutter: https://docs.libretuya.ml/docs/projects/esphome/ edit because I got a badge on this link: this has made it into upstream esphome!

I got a Tuya plug that thought it had an ESP chip but it didn’t. It had a BEKEN chip and found that there is another altenative to LibreTuya called OpenBK which has been commented in the forum

Time to move away from these Tuya IOT API

Curious whether anyone has found a video tutorial about how to use LibreTuya or OpenBK?

Time to stop buying Tuya devices… :wink:

Chinese cloud providers are weird. Got some more stuff that depends on it, none of it is of high quality (apsystems, onntrack gps tracking), nice experience to learn, but no good base for relying on.
tuya local seems pretty ok for getting around the cloud expiring? its not most sophisticated integration, but for me its sufficient in functioning (having some IR heater only which has very dubious API data points).