Emulated Hue, Alexa Skill?

unless amazon implements something to make a distinction between an emulated device and an original device, it will stay functioning, because they now even have devices with hue integrated.

Amazon Alexa Team confirmed to me in an email that the echo shows do not support hue devices without the bridge

except the new device with the bridge included, none of the alexa devices can work with hue devices without a bridge.
correct me if i am wrong, but emulated hue is the (emulated) bridge. and it presents itselve identical to any existing bridge.

so as long as they dont bring a new type bridge and exclude all old style bridges there should be no problem.

I’ll buy that :wink:

Yep, that’s what confused me to start with in a different thread but I think the gist of it is there are already 2 types and whilst older designs like the v1 and v2 Dots support both, the newer devices like the Show doesn’t and @moose517 has been told by Amazon that that is their policy going forward.

Is exactly this possibly what Google did where in effect it only supports ‘Hue’ devices that have been registered with Philips and hence why it was going to the website when trying to discover them.

Still believe there is another issue though, either to do with the users network or some conflict with a not directly related HA component, that is stopping emulated_hue working with older Echos too. Unfortunately, theories and semi-educated guesses are about as technical as my knowledge gets.

thats plausible, but that doesnt make emulated hue useless, its only useless if you ONLY have new devices that dont support the old hue. and at this moment that is then only the show (and maybe the echo with integrated hue)

Is exactly this possibly what Google did where in effect it only supports ‘Hue’ devices that have been registered with Philips and hence why it was going to the website when trying to discover them.

this is more what i am afraid for. as soon as amazon does something like that emulated hue is gone for amazon devices.

Still believe there is another issue though, either to do with the users network or some conflict with a not directly related HA component, that is stopping emulated_hue working with older Echos too

there are quite a few things that need to be set right, like encrypting etc. so if it isnt working for someone there could be several issues. network settings, ha settings, encryption settings, etc.
lots off people dont know they need to make sure that there are not to many entities exposed for example.

Exactly what i was saying :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, it’s pretty much useless now. Kill it! lol

harr harr harrr. bugger off, my bad for now knowing that emulated_hue could be used for more than alexa and google home when it was.

@moose517 lol it wasn’t meant at you. Actually I wasted so much time with emulated_hue, I’d kill it myself if I could just out of spite! It was a huge time waster since it was working then just abruptly stopped.

User error :sunglasses:

@Bobby_Nobble suuuure it is!

Out of interest, do you have upnp on on your router?

@Bobby_Nobble I do and it’s enabled. HA broadcasts my devices fine too. I think the problem is I have an Echo Show on my account and a real hue bridge. Chances are Amazon changed something on their end that broke discovery given I have two of the things they say aren’t supported or cause issues. I also tried to discover my devices from an Echo Dot and original Echo, same result. :frowning:

Bum, thought I may have found the answer for you, whilst having a quick Google this morning I read that the Echo sends upnp packages when discovering.

I’ve also read on here that although the latest devices don’t work, by adding a Dot to the network you can discover with that and then control with anything.

My current issue with Alexa is I can drop in to both our Dots from the app but the Dots themselves can’t find each other. Best Google would offer on that front is other people with the same issue but no helpful suggestions to cure it. Mind you, it does mean we can still pretend we didn’t hear when the missus is barking out orders from the kitchen.

@Bobby_Nobble Yeah it’s a real bummer! I really miss using emulated_hue as I have a lot of devices or scenes I’d like to pass from HA since they don’t directly connect to Alexa.

I also tried adding them from my “older” Alexa devices and never got that to work either. I’m just stumped at this point since everything was working for months. Guess I will just have to wait for native HA support with the Smart Home skill.

Thanks for trying! Cheers

No worries, ironically it just fixed it for someone with the same symptoms that I suggested it to though they had specifically stated upnp was off on their network which was what made me check it out.

You think this would be an exact science wouldn’t you :frowning:

Those with issues, have you tried assigning fixed IPs via your router to all your related devices and home assistant? All echoes, all wifi connected smart devices etc.