Enable Bluetooth on hass.os for Bluetooth and BLE device tracking

Currently doesn’t seem possible to install and use the following device trackers in bone assistant when using the Hass.os installing on a raspberry pi:

It would be great if it were possible to add this functionality so we could use these trackers.

You don’t need to install the BT libraries in HassOS, just add the entries to your configuration.yaml file. I use Bluetooth (not BLE) and it works just fine. I can’t attest to how well BLE works.

1 Like

I have done this but it says there are no BLE devices to track. I thought it was supposed to automatically add devices to known devices, but it’s not adding anything.

1 Like

Here’s my configuration.yaml

device_tracker:
  - platform: bluetooth_le_tracker
#    new_device_defaults:
#      track_new_devices: false

Do you have a known_devices.yaml file in your /config directory? Also, what kind of devices are you expecting to see?

You need to remove the “#” on the track new devices line, along with changing it from “false” to “true”

1 Like

Do I? Why? The documentation says it’s optional and defaults to “true” if not included.

I’ve found that adding the devices to known devices manually means it begins tracking. But nothing is added to known devices automatically.

1 Like

Maybe I’m mistaken. I always specify whether I want tracking(it’s been a long time since I looked at the docs.)

No worries. :slight_smile: it certainly can be confusing/unclear.

1 Like

Do You fixe this issue? How? I start to using “Miflora” sensors and have the same problem … “nothing to track” … THX

Suggestion: Edit to move into Configuration instead of Feature Requests

Hi all, anybody solved this issue?
I have the same problem with BLE device (Tile and Nut).

Hi,
I was wondering how to add a bluetooth speaker to my H-A, so here’s where I am how.
I added to my config.yaml the next code:

device_tracker:
  - platform: bluetooth_tracker
    new_device_defaults:
      track_new_devices: true

Note: I tried the bluetooth_le_tracker, and it didn’t work… maybe it was just my code or something, but…
Then, I rebooted of course, so it takes effect.

After that, I pushed the Pairing button at the back of the bluetooth device (speaker), and H-A detected it, and created the known_device.yaml with the data code for the bluetooth device, with its address.
Here’s what it looks like:

ihome_ibt22:
  name: iHome iBT22
  mac: BT_ab:cd:ef:gh:ij  #(its actual mac address, preceded by the BT prefix)
  icon:
  picture:
  track: true

From that, I’ll continue searching as to how to actually get sound from the device, but I think the first part is done. I’ll keep you posted as I progress… maybe it’ll help someone.

2 Likes

Did you get any further on this? I am trying this with a speaker as well.
Only I am unable to pair the speaker as I have to pair using the phone or any way in HASS.
Trying to get this up as a media_player

Hi,
Unfortunately, a couple of months ago, I read somewhere (sorry, I don’t recall where, though), that Bluetooth sound was not yet supported in HASS. I stopped looking for it at that point. Maybe it changed in the last couple of weeks, I don’t know. I simply abandonned that project for now.
Good luck in your research!

Hi Nic, found this GitHub - evzone/hassio-bluepiaudio: Configuration files and notes to add bluetooth audio support in Home Assistant
Maybe worth looking into!

Hi,
Thanks, I’ll look into it when I get some time!

will it work with only with bluetooth proxy? For example HA connected to olimex esp32-poe

hi, honestly, I let go of the subject when I found out that it wasn’t possible. I just used a jack 3.5mm cable from my RPi into a small speaker… much simpler and it does what I wanted it to do :slight_smile: . Good luck in your research though !