End of Service for the Weather Underground API

End of Service for the Weather Underground API

As a retired big bluer, I can assure you they have never done anything solely for the Public Domain… has anyone really been surprised by this?

Quoted from another source:

Hi there from the Weather Underground API Transition Team.

We’d like to reiterate a few things and let you know of a few small timing changes as we move closer to the previously announced retirement of the Weather Underground API:

• We have extended the retirement date to February 15, 2019 to allow you more transition time.
  • All Weather Underground API keys will stop working on February 15, 2019 unless otherwise agreed upon with Weather Underground.
  • All credit card charges for existing Weather Underground API subscriptions will stop on December 26, 2018.

Personal Weather Station (PWS) owners/contributors will continue to be eligible for a free replacement API service selected from our standard IBM/Weather Company standard offerings that contain:

• Current observations from the PWS network
  • 5 day daily forecast
  • PWS historical data
  • PWS lookup by geocode, zip code and location
  • Call volume: 1500/day, 30/minute

You can check out our PWS contributor replacement API documentation here.

If you need higher call volumes, you can still sign up for a paid API subscription plan from The Weather Company. To have a representative contact you or to request a demo, please click to fill out the contact form.

Finally, we are humbled by the loyalty you’ve shown us during this difficult transition period. Thank you for your continued support of the Weather Underground community.

With gratitude,

The WU API Transition Team

Hi @GaryK,

I just posted the ‘latest status’ myself here:

Seems like you received more recent news than I did - and I received an update yesterday :hushed:

I’ll insert a link to this thread.

I’m yet to receive anything thing from them. Looks good from what I’ve seen so far. Is it up and running yet and do existing API keys work or do we need new ones? If so, how do we get them?

Hi everyone,

I’ve just installed the WUnderground component. I have a personal weather station that I’ve registered on WUnderground and hence can get my own API Key.

However, on the logs I’m getting:

Check WUnderground API ('this key does not exist',)

I’m guessing this is because my key is using the new API and the current WUnderground component for HA uses the old one which goes offline as of 22 March. Is there any plans to migrate the component to the new API?

Same question. I have the new API key as a PWS contributor but I get the key error.

The HASS Component for Wunderground needs to be rewritten to work with the new API which needs the ney Key - the old key and API are now dead as of 22 March.

I have no idea how to fix the component. I’m looking at how else I can get the data in.

I created a feature request for the new API…

You can use the REST sensor as an easy replacement as well. This just gets the current conditions, forecast is also available via another URL…

- platform: rest
  name: pws_report
  json_attributes:
    - observations
  value_template: '{{ value_json["observations"][0]["obsTimeLocal"].title() }}'
  resource: https://api.weather.com/v2/pws/observations/current?stationId=MYSTATION&format=json&units=e&apiKey=MYKEY
  scan_interval: 300

- platform: template
  sensors:
    pws_location: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].neighborhood }}'
    pws_station_id: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].stationID }}'
    pws_type: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].softwareType }}'
    pws_wind_dir: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].winddir }}'
    pws_wind_gust: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].windGust }}'    
    pws_wind_speed: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].imperial.windSpeed }}'
    pws_humidity: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].humidity }}'
    pws_precip_total: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].imperial.precipTotal }}'
    pws_precip_rate: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].imperial.precipRate }}'
    pws_temp: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].imperial.temp }}'
    pws_solar: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].solarRadiation }}'
4 Likes