Energy Card: How to delete/purge records from an "early" misconfiguration period

I am a happy user of Energy Cards - Home Assistant

I first played around with the card end of December 2021. But some sensors were not yet working as expected (energy consumption via node-red-contrib-smartmeter). I fixed all sensors needed for the dashboard by April 2022.

Is there a possibility to purge records with the nonsense data from the database for a period like 2021-12 to 2022-04. Are the values transparently accessible in a SQL database? I know SQL but I have now idea how and where HA is storing its data, which keys or identifiers are used for the Energy Card etc.

I am happy to follow standard instructions if there are any.

Thanks for all the good work done by HA contributors.

Yes if you know SQL
statistics_meta gives you the metadata_id for the entity
statistics the … dûh…statistics per metadata_id
I suggest to first change the metadata_id to something else, see what it does and only then delete…and make a backup :slight_smile:

Understanding the Energy Card

I started exploring the data with SQLite Web.

• Is there an “overall” explanation around, how the recorder works and how statistics are calculated (and recorded)? I couldn’t find such obvious information myself.
  • Is the flow like this? states (like snapshot values, real “recording”) → statistics_short_term (5 min) → statistics (1 h)
  • Because in the statistics_short_term
  • What does the Energy Card pick up of these? I couldn’t see a metadata_id that looks like originating from the dashboard directly. Has the Energy Card any influence on the mechanism statesstatistics_short_term?
  • If I would be able to find the exact “wrong” values in states and replace or delete them, would statistics_short_term and statistics be recalculated?

DB and Recorder - Home Assistant stuff:

As I started looking closer to this DB stuff and reading some posts like this Energy dashboard not showing historical data - #5 by wouter_klaassen, etc.

Should I start a new thread for the DB migration part (MariaDB outside HA)?

I have not found one, others seem to not have this too, which does not mean it does not exist

That is what I see, I am however not sure why/when short_term are ‘reset’ as this provided some odd issues with me (and others)

Never tried it but I guess so and would expect this only for the future stats, you can always try this out …and let me/us know :slight_smile:

Whether or not you change…I have not seen great performance differences but this probably depends on how many updates you have. I myself did (!) migrate to MariaDB because of similar reasons as you mentioned. There are other posts on which MariaDB to use. I am on docker so using a separate container…but in fact also the add-ons are containers so should not matter much. You can always try one setup and then mover to another when you seem to feel a need to. My view: start simple…