Energy Dashboard: Add Oil-Usage in addition to Gas

Hi,

As to not go off-topic in this thread, I’ve decribed my solution over here.

It would still be very nice if we were able to add oil in liters and this poll definitely has my vote!

Hello,

exactly looking for the same.
I triedsomething similar to get set up yesterday with a template and sensor.
However, the conversion to kwh looks strange to me and I am not sure if I am calulating correctly. For our oil tank, I believe we cannot install an extra distance meter. But when I can calculate manually every day by writing down burner hours and multiply with my consumption per hour (eg. 2.4 l/h) then I thought I can do that also automated in home assistant. Maybe it would be easier if there was a generic option for energy where you can pick measurment in liters. So yes I vote for this, too. First I thought I can just export values to my existing excel spreadsheet but seems that is even more complicated… :wink:

Hi,
if you know your burner uses exactly 2.4L (equals ~24kwh) per hour it’s running, you might be able to install a vibration or acoustic sensor on your burner.
Thus passing the time the burner has been running to HA, multiply by 24 to get your consumption in kwh, or multiply by 2.4 to get your consumption in liters.

You will be off a little bit (because the 2.4L is probably an estimation which fluctuates). Over time the discrepancy will get bigger, but to determine your consumption it should be close enough. Just make sure you do not trust these values to determine how much oil is left in the tank though, since the error will increase over time.

Dear Assembly,

Thank you for your response and valuable information.
The problem I had from start with the energy dashboard was that I could not save anything since burner hours weren’t allow (sensor.vicare…) then I tried the approach to create my own sensor with all of the help from different posts here. Once I had one really properly configured I was able to save the energy dashboard and then got all the options for water, gas etc. to set up a energy dashboard. So I added gas with the same sensor. I feel like I am doing something duplicate and can also see that my attempts still show up as sensors (just greyed out - need to find out how to get rid of my tests).
However, thanks for your calculation. I must have been lost somehow and thought 9,8 kWH are 1 liter - so I need to check my ‘calculation’.

Hope I get this sorted. Thanks again and most likely I will come back with another question. For now I have to go into this config jungle again :smiley:

Hello assembly,
I can see now something more reasonable.

the Sensor that works if I am not completely mistaken is:

#Customize Yaml for Oil consumption
homeassistant:
customize: !include customize.yaml

sensor:

• platform: history_stats
    name: Oil Burner Time Today
    unique_id: oil_burner_time_today
    entity_id: binary_sensor.vicare_burner_active
    state: “on”
    type: time
    start: “{{ today_at() }}”
    end: “{{ now() }}”

• platform: history_stats
    name: Solar Warm Water
    unique_id: solar_warm_water_today
    entity_id: binary_sensor.vicare_solar_pump_active
    state: “on”
    type: time
    start: “{{ today_at() }}”
    end: “{{ now() }}”

template:

• sensor:
    • name: Oil Power Today
      unique_id: oil_power_today
      state: “{{ states(‘sensor.oil_burner_time_today’) | float(0) * 2.4 }}”

But why is it just not possible to get this in Liters? and add this in the energy dashboard? Just because it starts with a kwh for setup.

Would there be any conversion or something available?
I am at the same time trying grafana and influx db - however the best results imo I get from the codes I found in various posts here.

nite n8 for today…

Lets continue in the topic I started earlier for this purpose, as to not go off-topic here :grinning:.
I’ll be more than happy to help and will try to answer your questions tomorrow.

ok , sorry - and thank you

Hi CChris,
thank you for this example, i will also try to get this into work.
Let me ask basics, the first with “sensor” is in the configuration yaml part of sensor.
Ok I think is correct.
but where to put the second with the utility meter?
Also just under the sensor in config?
Thanks
oliver

Hi,
The example I’ve posted is obsolete now.
The Oilfox integration does provide some sensors for the Amount of used Oil and kWh by default for a couple of weeks / months now.

With these sensors, you can also use the integrated Helpers and create the utility meters without using the yaml configuration.

1 Like

I found the kWh but would like to have in liter.
Can you advice please, i did not found liter in the original oilfox