Energy Dashboard issue

Hey! I habe sometimes a error with my Energy Dashboard. The PV production shows me some days not the daily, but the lifetime Production. But i dont know why. The most days it works great. Here two screenshots with a normal day and one with the error. The problem is wirh the entity „pv gen meter“ of my SMA

I know why.

Your PV energy sensor reports 0 instead of unknown when it becomes unavailable. And the SMA Sunnyboy inverters reboot on a weekly schedule (bad/lazy programming by SMA*). When the sensor returns to reporting correctly the total energy has jumped from 0 to your lifetime total, and this is dutifully recorded by the energy dashboard. If it had jumped from unknown to the usual total the energy dashboard would have ignored it.

See this topic for some additional info on how to create a filtered sensor with an availability template thatyou can feed to your energy dashboard to correct this:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/how-to-prevent-entity-from-resetting-to-0/369363/2?u=tom_l

In short: create a filtered template sensor or wait until this SMA integration issue fix gets merged into Home Assistant.

Honestly, I would create the filtered sensor anyway, just in case other issues with the integration pop up in future. I’m not removing my filtered sensor once the fix is merged.

* so much for excellent German engineering :slight_smile:

Hey, after weeks I have the time to use your filtered sensor. But now I have two questions:

1. The total Yield shows me the LIFETIME Energy of the SMA. But I need the daily. So far I use the PV Gen Meter entity to track my SMA. Why you use the total Yield?

2. Your filtered template is not possible to mark in the Energy Dashboard. (But is still existing in HASS). I make a copy of your integration. What does I need to change, to activate the sensor in the Dashboard?

Best Regards

The PV generation meter is the DC side. It will not take into account the losses in the inverter. Total Yield will.

If you want a daily meter, Use a Utility Meter fed with the total yield sensor and a daily cycle option.

The filtered sensor probably needs the attribute state_class: total_increasing for it to be used in the Energy Dashboard. Maybe device_class: energy for good measure too. Mine inherits that from the SMA sensor. You can add this using Customize if you are using the legacy template format or you can add it directly to the new template integration.