Energy Management - Calculation every 15 minutes

In my electricity installation, the meter sends out data every 15 minutes.
So for 15 my Electricity Provider acts as a battery.
Eg: Between 15 and 30 minutes past o’clock, if I produce more than I take from the grid, my Electricity Provider does not charge me anything.
Would it be possible to implement something like this in the new Energy Management Feature?

15 minute billing like this was mentioned during development of the energy feature but was too complex for the initial release. It may be implemented in future. I have moved your post to the feature requests category, please vote for your own request.

5 Likes

Same here with the Belgium upcoming capacity tarifs! Capaciteitstarief: van kwartiervermogen tot gemiddelde maandpiek - YouTube

The avg consumption per 15 minutes is what they will start looking at. If you once surpassed a certain limit your base tarif changes for the whole month/year.

Would be great to have such settings by default in HA

1 Like

It seems you’re already aware: Utility_meter cyles - #4 by tom_l

The 15 minute settlement period is being implemented by all EU countries per EU Directive
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32017R2195&from=EN
…with the important statement being:

all TSOs shall apply the imbalance settlement period of 15 minutes

This directive is being implemented to national law, coming into effect at different points in time. My local provider will start implementing settlement periods on 1.1.2023. Some operators currently implement a 60 minute settlement period, but to the best of my understanding, this is an intermediate solution while electricity providers (TSO’s) update their system to support 15 minutes intervalls. I asked my local electricity provider, and got to know that the settlement period varies among their customers - I even have a different settlement period than my neighbours a few meters away!

The current cost/compensation calculation in Home Assistant is not compliant with the EU directive.

Not 100 % sure about this, but I belive Nordpool will change the pricing from today’s hourly to 15 minutes intervalls. See: 15 min Imbalance Settlement Period – nordicbalancingmodel

With respect to what @verbruggher wrote:

The avg consumption per 15 minutes is what they will start looking at. If you once surpassed a certain limit your base tarif changes for the whole month/year.

This seems like a separate requirement, not being part of the EU directive.

Looking forward to this feature.
Making the Energy Management dashboard calculation period configurable (from 15min to 2h maybe) would be a good feature that would make the life of everyone that own photovoltaic panels easier.

We can also add Spain to the list of countries that now have net metering.
@MiguelAngelLV has created a custom component for the purpose. Energy hourly balance cost

I have a feeling that most people who are subject to net metering do not know that this is how the costs should be calculated.