Energy Management in Home Assistant

Ah, I’ve found it - but no explanation as to why it’s got a bad reading?

I’m getting this across multiple devices lately.

Hm, that’s quite annoying. From which integration do you get these measurements (which are clearly bogus)?

It’s a z-wave device - Greenwave Powernode.
Seems to only affect this device though so perhaps it’s just on the fritz. (I have about 5 of them around the house)

Contact tech support for rainforest. They will do an over the air update and will fix these issues.
Mine was recording 145kw on a 200 amp service. Not it is fine with accurate readings.

I think it would be great to have as information, the unit cost for each band, very useful when looking at the chart daily/weekly/monthly

currently only the sum is reported;

I will insert screenshot with my idea. Text

1 Like

I have a couple of zwave devices which do this. You can create a filter entity which reads the real one but is set to ignore values not in sane levels. I’m not able to post details at the moment (working!)…

Hi
If adding a “tracker to track flash from the energy meter” then it starts from “0”/Zero, is there a way to add maybe 1500kWh, so it start from 1500 and then count up, so the “numbers” on the dashboard match the real numbers from the house counter?

Hello,

Is it possible to modify the monthly date so that it is not from the 1st to the 30th but from the 14th to the 15th?

Thanks

1 Like

Is anyone having touble with the numbers on the energy dashboard.
Mine have gone to random numbers for 4 days now.
The day before i updated to the latest version of HA.

I see real crazy numbers like 160 kwh of solar generation
Also some are subtracting when should be adding.

I’m on Home Assistant 2023.2.4, and my dashboard is fine.

Today the dashboard is normal
I did not do anything to it.
I hate computers

I feel your pain.

Have been trying unsuccessfully to add a gas template that shows up on the distribution graphic;

I have a propane furnace (also with a heatpump that is engaged at temperatures over 38F/3.3C to avoid icing on the coils), though have come to the conclusion that propane may not be supported yet after trying “gallons” and “gallon” in the unit_of_measurement, so have decided to have the data in gallons, though for display purposes show it in m3 or ft3 of gas. I have tried several permutations of the following template;

template:
   - sensor:
       - name: "Furnace Propane Consumption
         state_class: measurement
         device_class: gas
         unit_of_measurement: "ft3"
         state: >
           {% if (states('sensor.furnace') | float > 270) and (states('sensor.heatpump') | float < 50) %}
           {% else %}
           {% endif %}

I have used device_class of “energy”

I have used unit_of_measurement of “gallons”, “gallon”, “m3”, “ft3”. Intriguingly, I did see one comment where someone showed a unit_of_measurement of “ft3”, but I see no way to do superscript in the File Editor.

After a couple of days of scouring the documentation and threads, I cannot find what attributes, values, and legal combinations are required to have the gas data show up on the Energy Distribution graphic.

The sensors sensor.heatpump and sensor.furnace both reliably return Watt values from IoTaWatt as an FYI.

Update: I tried copying “m3” into the sensor template in File Editor, though after a restart, still no change to the Energy Distribution graphic.

Could someone point me to where I can find the required attributes, the legal enumerated values, and any legal combinations?

Hey guys, is there any way to fix the data? Last year my system crashed and I had to restore from backup. Unfortunately, my production and consumption spilled over from the middle of the month to the following month and now I have this nasty tooth in there. I would need August and September straightened out according to reality. :-/

I don’t think there is but I sure would love a way to update interval data for a given time/date range to post-hoc correct such erroneous records.

Corrections happen automatically with Fronius Solarweb as the system updates using the energy data log file, and PVOutput can be manually corrected post-hoc by uploading interval data. But correcting such data in HA Energy Dashboard is either not possible or is so difficult to do as to not be worth the hassle.

I also have the problem of erroneous data for a couple of months when starting this integration over a year ago and would appreciate some way of fixing the data.

On a separate topic, it would simplify my setup to have the ability to upload HA Energy data (which can come from multiple sources) to the online energy monitoring services (ie pvoutput and emoncms). Does anyone have a simplified way of uploading this data to emoncms?

@system It’s been a while since the Energy dashboard was introduced, and there is not yet as far as I can see a way to include a daily standing charge in the calculation. It’s an amount of money we in the UK have to pay to the supplier for having an active account and does not matter how much you use, but it is charged daily, and is included as part of the bill. So to get an accurate idea of consumption it should be included in the dashboard. This is not currently possible though? Unless I am missing the very obviously, then could someone point me in the right direction? There doesn’t seem to be a method to add a fixed daily fee to the calculation, it’s all based on kWh being used so if the charge was 0.55 per day and I used 1kW the energy dash would tell me I used 0.55 but if I used 2kW it would multiply the charge by two showing 1.10 even though that is incorrect since the charge is daily-based not kWh based, it would always be 0.55 and charged daily no matter if I used 20kW or 0kW. This is something that applies to everyone in the United Kingdom so a huge user base is missing out on the ability to set it.

If i get this right this is a kind of base fee. Here in Germany we habe the same on a monthly base. My base fee is 3.99€ per month and then the amount of kwh used multiplied by the corresponding cost.

Fixed charges plus consumption (per kWh) are pretty common, however retail tariff structures vary so widely across the world it’s almost impossible to add more and more options to cater for all.

e.g. here in Australia many homes are being moved to “demand tariffs”. So not only are there fixed daily fees plus time of use per kWh consumption charges but there will also be a charge for the peak 30-min power draw during the peak tariff window each month.

e.g. say during peak hours (e.g. 3pm-9pm weekdays) for the entire month your maximal 30-min power draw was 10 kW (5 kWh/30-min). That is then multiplied by the demand charge (e.g. 15c/kW/day) and the number of days in the billing month (e.g. 30 days). So in this instance the demand charge for that month would be 10 kW x $0.15/kW/day x 30 days = $45. That would be a separate line item on the bill, plus the regular consumption and daily supply/service charges.

As far as I know the Energy dashboard only provides hourly interval data, and as such isn’t able to calculate a demand tariff. It would require 30-min interval data.

We also have typical time of use charges, however in many locations the time of use periods applied to “peak”, “off-peak” and “shoulder” vary with seasons.

Also there are often separately metered dedicated circuits which the utility controls when power is made available (for things like water heating, slab heating, pool pumps etc), and these are typically outside of the solar PV circuits and often not captured by regular PV/consumption metering. Different tariffs again too.

Then there are variable discounts layered on top depending on payment timing.

Feed-in credits which vary by time of day (e.g. in Western Australia the credit for exported excess solar PV in different before and after 3PM) or vary by total kWh exported, e.g. the credit might be stepped with the first 5 kWh/day credited and one rate while beyond that is credited at a different rate.

And on and on goes the hundreds of combinations of tariff types.

There’s always a new fee type to add.

Edit - I forgot, there are also random bonuses provided by some electricity retailers. e.g. you might get notice that if you reduce demand by a certain amount between 5-7PM then you earn a bonus bill credit. The complexity of billing options never ends.

3 Likes

Hi All,

I think we are missing something here that is quite significant, So the majority of people using HA Energy will be using it because they have a solar system.

Well there is two things I would like to see tracked and that is the cost saving on consumed solar, and then the the total savings.

cost_saving_on_consumed solar + sensor.power_meter_exported_1_compensation = Total savings

This way i can see at what point my system has paid for it’s self.

If there is anyone that can do this or has already done this i would be interested to understand how to do it myself. Thanks