Energy Management Solar PV input to extend to Solar Thermal

(copied from Configuration to Feature Request).
I have a Bosch solar thermal system installed which I want to include as an input into my HA Energy Manager. I think this equipment is widely installed in Europe.
In my case the energy in hot water (kWh) generated by the solar thermal system displaces gas consumption.
The output from the Bosch EMS bus via an ESP interface already provides hourly/daily/total values of energy captured e.g.:

[sensor.solar_energy_today]
Solar energy today = 7661
state_class: total_increasing
unit_of_measurement: Wh
device_class: energy
friendly_name: Solar energy today

This can be used as a “Solar PV input” and it shows as a generation value in HA, but I don’t know if it is working as the designers intended or not. If it is, then the title simply needs changing to “Solar PV/Thermal”. If not it may require other options in user configuration.

Also the summation graphic shows this as an electricity input which it isn’t

I would very much support this feature!
I have a have both on my roof solar thermal and a PV system. Until I had the PV system installed I also just added my solar thermal entity as a solar source. But now with both installed, this makes my data incorrect as HA assumes thermal energy to be the same as electrical energy.

Please let me know if anyone has found a good approach to solve this.

I added a Thermodynamics request feature. Can you vote for it ? Thermal mass/Thermodynamics

2 Likes

I too am in the same situation, indeed, in addition to the solar thermal that heats the water, I also have a solar air panel that contributes to saving GAS.
Now I’m monitoring the energy produced by the solar hot air using the Helper “Riemann sum integral sensor” but it would be nice to have a single place where the whole “energy” of the house is monitored:
Electricity consumption
I consume GAS
Water consumption
Photovoltaic solar production
Solar thermal production of domestic hot water
Production of solar thermal water/fluid heating
Production of solar thermal air heating

Thank you!

1 Like